Kelly McMichael -- Waves

David Dalton

Dec 29, 2021, 10:07:36 PM12/29/21
Tonight I listened to the only CD I got for Christmas, the album
Waves by Kelly McMichael. All ten tracks are strong but my
current top four favourites are (3) Stepping Stone, (2) Out the
Window, (7) I Won't Stop, and (8) Montreal. I'll write a longer
review after a few more listens. Check her out on her bandcamp
page at https://kellymcmichael.bandcamp.com/album/waves
where you can stream the tracks. Merchandise is also available,
including a digital album for C$10, a CD for C$15, an LP for
C$30, two cool t-shirts that are each C$20, and a tote bag
that is C$15. All of those last six physical items include the
digital album for free. (And note that C$1 is currently US$0.78.)

I posted this to the Newfoundland groups since Kelly is
currently based here, and to the Ontario groups since
she is from Peterborough and has spent time in Guelph
and Toronto. Of course I have also posted this to some
music newsgroups.

Some may have heard Kelly in the band Renders or
perhaps briefly in Sarah Harmer’s touring band before
their tour was cut short by the pandemic. But anyway
this is a strong solo release, and won I think several
MusicNL awards.

“‘Oh, love is new/I'm face and eyes into you/Oh, love is here/
I'll be face and eyes into you/For years and years" (Colleen Power)

David Dalton

Jan 2, 2022, 12:06:41 AM1/2/22
On Dec 29, 2021, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.277D59F702...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> Tonight I listened to the only CD I got for Christmas, the album
> Waves by Kelly McMichael. All ten tracks are strong but my
> current top four favourites are (3) Stepping Stone, (2) Out the
> Window, (7) I Won't Stop, and (8) Montreal. I'll write a longer
> review after a few more listens. Check her out on her bandcamp
> page at https://kellymcmichael.bandcamp.com/album/waves
> where you can stream the tracks. Merchandise is also available,
> including a digital album for C$10, a CD for C$15, an LP for
> C$30, two cool t-shirts that are each C$20, and a tote bag
> that is C$15. All of those last six physical items include the
> digital album for free. (And note that C$1 is currently US$0.78.)
>
> I posted this to the Newfoundland groups since Kelly is
> currently based here, and to the Ontario groups since
> she is from Peterborough and has spent time in Guelph
> and Toronto. Of course I have also posted this to some
> music newsgroups.
>
> Some may have heard Kelly in the band Renders or
> perhaps briefly in Sarah Harmer’s touring band before
> their tour was cut short by the pandemic. But anyway
> this is a strong solo release, and won I think several
> MusicNL awards.

The East Magazine recently posted their top 100 songs of 2021
from The Atlantic Provinces of Canada, and Out the Window
is number 7 and Stepping Stone is number 1. You can read
their short reviews of those two songs at
https://www.theeastmag.com/2021/12/30/the-best-music-of-2021/4/

“‘Then you saw me from the cathedral/Well I'm an ancient heart/Yes, you
saw me from the cathedral/And here we are just falling apart" (T. Tikaram)

David Dalton

Jul 22, 2022, 11:07:27 PM7/22/22
She won some Music NL awards (for Newfoundland and Labrador)
and later some East Coast Music Awards (for the four Atlantic
provinces) and I don't know if she is eligible for the
Junos (for Canada) next year. And she recently found out
that her album has been shortlisted for the prestigious
Polaris Prize, a critic jury selection of the best album
of the year in Canada.

She is playing The Rockhouse on George Street in August
and ticket details are on her Facebook page.

“Mary walks down to the water’s edge and there she hangs Her head to
find herself faded a shadow of what she once was" (Sarah McLachlan)

David Dalton

Aug 1, 2022, 1:44:19 PM8/1/22
There was a feature article on Kelly McMichael in todays
The Telegram, an article plus her answering 20 Questions,
and it is available at this link:

https://tinyurl.com/2p8rbkp6