Friday Unconference

John David Smith

Dec 7, 2011, 10:02:09 PM12/7/11
to Online_Community_Managers_PDX

I thought this was interesting, but completely mis-remembered the topic!  Seems quite relevant to online communities.

DATE/TIME: 12/9/2011 8:00:00 AM GMT -8:00

WHERE: Multnomah Athletic Club

1849 SW Salmon Street, Portland, OR 97205

CONTACT: Ruth Fuller <ruth....@sao.org>

Presented by the Quality Assurance Forum and Developers Forum

Generally acknowledged best practices for software development strongly favor co-location, but with mergers, acquisitions, outsourcing, and off-shoring the co-located team is becoming an endangered species. Teams now are commonly project-based and geographically distributed. How can we work effectively with team members in different physical locations?

Learn from companies within the community that with the help of virtual teams produce some of the highest quality, most widely used software today. Come prepared to speak your mind, share your experience, listen and learn about working in a virtual team. If you are involved anywhere in the software development lifecycle, this event is for you.

Who’s working with

virtual teams, and how well are they succeeding? We

invite you to share your experiences and learn from others.

Discussion Topics Will Include:

Are Agile’s quick feedback cycles possible in geographically

scattered teams?

Can I expand my pool of potential job candidates by hiring outside my area?

Can we foster trust and

efficiency in a team whose members are working out of sight?

How do you lead a virtual

team meeting?

Are other Oregon companies succeeding with

remote or distributed teams?

Does video conferencing ever

really work? How?

What’s

the true, total cost to a business of running a distributed team? Or of

choosing not to?

What is an Unconference?

An Unconference is the inverse of a conference, in that there’s no predetermined, pre-set schedule, agenda, or speaker lineup. Utilizing the concept of OpenSpace, this unconference is the coming together of participants, with no predetermined agenda or program, to have an open discussion and share insight in a place where experts and beginners are equal. You won’t be lectured at, rather you’ll leave with a better understanding of a topic and the satisfaction of being heard outside Q&A time.

The OpenSpace methodology is carefully designed to elicit maximum involvement and creativity in a constructive atmosphere. It is also highly flexible so that the content is entirely determined by you—the participants. This is not to suggest that the conference will not have content or outcomes, for there certainly will be both. Achievement in the meeting will be totally dependent upon individual and collective responsibility to make it happen. The content is what each person shares, and the outcome is what we will all create. The event will be inventive, creative, productive and full of surprises.

Capacity: 160 attendees

Audience: From executives whom are concerned with productivity, quality and cost management to product owners, analysts, developers, designers, and testers all who are attempting to share a single thought and build upon it.

Tickets

SAO Member

Non-Member

$70

$90

Early Bird Special Pricing Ended November 25th, 2011

Contact for Further Details

Series Sponsors

SAO Events Policy

John

* John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd

* Got ilk?

Ann Marcus

Dec 14, 2011, 12:05:03 AM12/14/11
to Online_Community_Managers_PDX
Ah...this looks like it was interesting. I wonder how it went. Did you
go?

I have been working remotely for a number of years...Certainly is
convenient to be able to work from home, but it gets isolating,
reduces shared experiences with team mates, reduces opportunity for
bonding around meals, adversity, triumph, events, etc...frankly, I
think something is lost or not created if team mates don't have some
initial face-to-face contact at certainly points. Electronic
conferencing and phone calls cannot replace sniffing the other
person...as it were...and really being able to look them in the eye
and read their body language and micro-gestures.

I did do a workshop a number of years ago on Successful Virtual Team
Work and there are things you can do to improve the experience,
without a doubt...

That's my 2 cents on this topic.

Thanks for posting, John!

:-) Ann