Next Event?

Kerry Finsand

Dec 14, 2011, 9:31:50 PM12/14/11
to Online_Community_Managers_PDX
Thanks to Ann, Chuck, Don, Dawn, John David Smith and Lia for coming
out to our meeting last week at the Mellow Mushroom. Ann, Chuck and
David what are you twitter handles?

Let's do our next meeting on Wednesday January 1tth at 6pm in ne or se
pdx. I known one person told me that they can never make it on
Tuesday so let's try a Wednesday for fun. Will This work for
everyone. Location TBD.

Cheers

Kerry

Dawn Foster

Dec 14, 2011, 11:10:52 PM12/14/11
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I'm free on Wednesday, January 11 :)

Dawn

Kerry

John David Smith

Dec 15, 2011, 12:48:45 AM12/15/11
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com

Me, too.  And I put it on my schedule.

So pending finalization of the date, I think a bit of prep on the topic part of our session would help.  To brainstorm about “selling community to management” I think we have to have some idea of the business.  Specifically some description of the business – like a business model that sketches out what’s important to the business and why.  I’ve spent some time thinking about business models for communities, and I think that the business model canvas that Osterwalder developed could be useful in this case, too.  Have a look:

  http://learningalliances.net/category/business-models/

Here’s a piece that could be helpful: http://www.slideshare.net/techdude/business-model-generation

I’ve got a blank canvas in a couple of formats if that would help… Google Doc

John

* John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd

* Got ilk?

Mark Dilley

Dec 16, 2011, 4:05:53 AM12/16/11
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Added a wiki page on PortlandWiki for this group, ifn' we want to do some of the knowledge tending there:

Kerry Finsand

Dec 16, 2011, 8:54:56 AM12/16/11
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com, online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mark!

Sent from my iPhone

Kerry Finsand

Jan 4, 2012, 2:40:17 PM1/4/12
to Online_Community_Managers_PDX
Hey PDX Community Managers,

Our next meeting will be Wednesday January 11th, 2012 at 6pm. I hope
you all had a great holiday season. The meeting will be at the
Eastburn at 6pm. http://www.yelp.com/biz/eastburn-portland-2. We
will meet upstairs in the dining area and then perhaps we can head
down stairs for some skee bowling.

Topic:

John suggested a great topic: "Selling community to management." You
can see below some of John's ideas. Let's all come prepared with
thoughts on how we have personally sold our positions to management.
We will use Groupon as a starting conversation piece.

Thanks and let me know if you have any insight. Please RSVP too.

Cheers

Kerry

On Dec 14 2011, 9:48 pm, "John David Smith"
<john.sm...@learningalliances.net> wrote:
> Me, too.  And I put it on my schedule.
>
> So pending finalization of the date, I think a bit of prep on the topic part
> of our session would help.  To brainstorm about "selling community to
> management" I think we have to have some idea of the business.  Specifically
> some description of the business - like a business model that sketches out
> what's important to the business and why.  I've spent some time thinking
> about business models for communities, and I think that the business model
> canvas that Osterwalder developed could be useful in this case, too.  Have a
> look:
>
>  http://learningalliances.net/category/business-models/
>
> Here's a piece that could be helpful:http://www.slideshare.net/techdude/business-model-generation
>
> I've got a blank canvas in a couple of formats if that would help. Google
> Doc
> <https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0ARc9L4cBRyF9ZGRqZ20zdHZfMzU0...
> g5ZGs> .
>
> John
>
> * John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd
>
> * Portland, Oregon, USAhttp://www.learningAlliances.net
>
> * Got ilk?

The Idea Goddess (Ann Marcus)

Jan 4, 2012, 6:06:18 PM1/4/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Kerry:

This clashes with the CHIFOO Meeting this month--that I am involved in.  Normally CHIFOO is the first Wed. of the month...but because of the holidaze it has been delayed a week.

Thanks,
Ann

Ben Fowler

Jan 5, 2012, 1:11:51 PM1/5/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on it. Looking forward.

Ben

Jade Frank

Jan 5, 2012, 2:27:48 PM1/5/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I will be there!
--
Jade Frank
Online Community Manager

t. 1.503.331.3900 | f. 1.503.914.1418 | www.worldpulse.com

Follow on Twitter:
@WorldPulse
@jadefrank

Kerry Finsand

Jan 6, 2012, 3:53:21 PM1/6/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Ann,

We will miss you at the meeting.

Cheers

Kerry

Kerry Finsand

Jan 6, 2012, 3:54:04 PM1/6/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Jade and Ben see you next week.

Cheers

Kerry

Dawn Foster

Jan 9, 2012, 10:19:08 PM1/9/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I should be there, too. See you all tomorrow!

Dawn

Kerry Finsand

Jan 9, 2012, 10:27:23 PM1/9/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Dawn we are actually doing the meet up on Wednesday Jan 11th.

Dawn Foster

Jan 9, 2012, 11:17:47 PM1/9/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Oops. I have it on my calendar for Wednesday. I'm apparently operating in a different space time continuum today :)

Dawn

The Idea Goddess (Ann Marcus)

Jan 15, 2012, 8:31:14 PM1/15/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Kerry and folks who attended:

How was the meeting? What topics come up? Where there any big lightbulbs? How was the EastBurn experience?

Color me curious,
Ann :=_

Mark Dilley

John David Smith

Jan 18, 2012, 2:46:31 PM1/18/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com

Eastburn was good, though a bit noisy for a focused conversation: it took a bit of effort to talk from one end of the table to another.

7 of us were there.  Good folks – worthwhile conversation.  Good meeting.  A bit long on the intros, but, hey, getting to know what people are up to is important.  What people actually DO when they are doing “community management” really is pretty diverse.

The discussion:

·         Was not so much about picking which community would be relevant to a business (that was the assumption when I pitched the business model angle; thinking that the issue was whether “the community” would consist of suppliers, early adopting customers, volunteer labor, professional peers, partners of some sort, or whatever)

·         We talked about assessing value: how you combine systematically gathered statistics (e.g., web server logs) with anecdotes and snippets that grab the imagination.

·         It only takes a few home runs to survive for another cycle or two, but you have to keep proving the value again and again.

·         There was more, but that’s what I remember from the top of my head.

Next time: talking about engagement.  Same format in that one person will state the problem and everybody responds, first to that person, and then generally for discussion with each other.

NB: this email message is an example of stimulating engagement.  J

John

* John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd

* "True politics, worthy of the name -- and the only kind I will practice --

* is the politics of service to one's neighbour; service to the community;

* service to those who will succeed us." Vaclav Havel

Ann Marcus

Jan 19, 2012, 4:03:00 AM1/19/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the digest…it is indeed engagement.

So is the plan to meet someplace quieter the next time? How about the back room at the Lucky Lab on Hawthorne?

:-) Again, thanks. Let's get together again for coffee sometime.

AM