FW: [cls] Digest for community-leadership-summit@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

John David Smith

Mar 28, 2012, 1:26:57 PM3/28/12
to Online_Community_Managers_PDX

I went to this the year before last and it was pretty good:

Join us at the Community Leadership 2012 - be sure to register at http://bit.ly/lgwD9L

Hopefully the event is not a puff piece for Jono Bacon.

(The Community Leadership Summit was conceived back in 2009 by Jono Bacon, the community manager for the global Ubuntu community and author of The Art of Community by O’Reilly and he has organized it each year since then. Jono is a leading speaker and author on the topic of community governance, growth and collaborative development. He put together the summit as a first step in helping community managers and leaders to define and refine their work, share knowledge and make connections in a vendor neutral way.

Since then he has been joined by a team of organizers including Dave Nielson (active in the CloudCamp community), Van Riper (organizer of the CLS-West and active Google community manager), Sara Ford, Marsee Henon (community manager and liaison for O’Reilly) and others.)

John

* John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd

* "If what you are getting online is for free, you are not the customer,

*   you are the product." -- Jonathan Zittrain

Apr 3, 2012, 5:00:22 PM4/3/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
John,

Dawn and I went to this laster summer and I found it to be beneficial and hope that members of our group can attend this year's event.

BTW: I have not heard back from anyone about meeting again with the topic of analytics.

Thanks

Kerry

Ben Fowler

Apr 3, 2012, 5:08:04 PM4/3/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning on going to the summit.

Also interested in a meet up on Analytics.

John Smith

Apr 3, 2012, 5:21:30 PM4/3/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
It's not as if a session on analytics will be the last word on the subject, so let's meet now even if nobody has recruited the world's greatest experts on the subject.  We'll be dealing with the subject forever so let's start now.  By the time the experts show up we'll have better questions.

John
-------------
Skype & Twitter: smithjd

Jason Harris

Apr 3, 2012, 5:32:11 PM4/3/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in an Analytics session!

-Jason

Nathan DiNiro

Apr 3, 2012, 6:00:56 PM4/3/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Oops, meant to send this last week...

****
Hey John,

I am one of the local organizers for CLS. I can assure you that the point of the event is quite sincere; to bring together community managers from across the spectrum of open source, technology, Non-profit & NGO's to discuss issues of community management.

Since you attended in the past I'm curious if you thought it was valuable? Since it's an unconference event, was there something about the event which we could have done better? Something in the event marketing that has you wondering if it's of continued value?

Very open to comments and suggestions.

-Nate

EM: uncl...@gmail.com
TW: @unclenate
PH: 503-449-9943
http://meetwith.me/natediniro

John Smith

Apr 3, 2012, 6:32:30 PM4/3/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com, Mark Dillley
I thought the Community Leadership Summit was really good.  The Open Space part was a little rough around the edges it seemed.  Mark Dilley had some criticisms of the way it was run as well.

Pardon the snarky remark.  It just seemed like a lot of the blurb real estate was about Jono Bono. I'm coming for all the good talk and ideas from fellow community managers -- not so much for him (although I know it's a huge amoutn of work pulling something like this together).

John
-------------
Skype & Twitter: smithjd

Chuck Kisselburg

Apr 4, 2012, 12:21:18 AM4/4/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I, too, enjoyed the two CLS I've attended.  As with any unconference it can be a hit or a miss, but the discussions, as well as conversations outside of the individual sessions were definitely more hits than misses.  :)

Chuck

On Apr 3, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Nathan DiNiro <uncl...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Join us at the Community Leadership 2012 - be sure to register at communityleadersh...

[...]

The Idea Goddess (Ann Marcus)

Apr 5, 2012, 9:34:58 PM4/5/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I actually enjoyed the last CLS--and got a lot of good ideas out of it. I'll try to make it again this time. I would like a combo of conference and unconference though. Some structure, some flexibility. That helps me plan ahead for what to expect and when to for sure be there.

My 2 cents,
Ann

John David Smith

Apr 6, 2012, 12:46:18 AM4/6/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com

Wouldn’t it be a natural for us to offer some kind of “conferency” thing?  We’ve been talking to each other for a while, know how to leverage each other’s good stuff (and shut down the less than spectacular qualities each of us brings… :- ) so who better than us to organize something?

* Foundations of CoPs workshop starts April 9: http://cpsquare.org/edu/foundations/

* "If what you are getting online is for free, you are not the customer,

*   you are the product." -- Jonathan Zittrain

The Idea Goddess (Ann Marcus)

Apr 6, 2012, 12:34:09 PM4/6/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com

Nathan DiNiro

Apr 6, 2012, 1:27:37 PM4/6/12
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you've been putting some thought into it, What would you suggest?