Tonight's Online Community Manager's Meeting CANCELLED

Ann Marcus

Sep 21, 2010, 8:20:21 PM9/21/10
to Online_Community_Managers_PDX
Tonight's (9/21) Community Manager's Meeting at Vino Vixens is
CANCELLED.

We will try again for next month...

Thanks,
Ann

kristin wolff

Sep 21, 2010, 8:43:36 PM9/21/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I've got competing demands again.

Cheers,
kew

Kristin Wolff
thinker, doer, aspiring rainmaker

"Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others." Winston Churchill

ideag...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2010, 7:43:42 PM9/22/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Yeah...I think I might be done with trying to do this group. LOL....apparently I'm not very good at Community Management!

AM

Nathan DiNiro

Sep 22, 2010, 8:02:25 PM9/22/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
It's not for lack of want, it's just the seeming overload of events and life of community managers. Their time never seems to be their own. You know, I feel like there should be a group for community managers, oh wait... ;)

Dawn Foster

Sep 22, 2010, 8:26:35 PM9/22/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we should take a break until January. There are so many
community events in Portland in Sept / October and then we get into
the holiday season.

In January, maybe we put a little more structure in place? It would
help to send out an email to the list 2 weeks before the meeting to
start gathering agenda items and get us thinking about it. I think
that we all need to help suggest agenda items rather than leaving it
all up to Ann :) Maybe we can rotate some of the agenda
responsibility, too?

Dawn

Sharon Greenfield

Sep 22, 2010, 8:48:26 PM9/22/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Good idea Dawn!

Also I think it might be helpful to come up with a bunch of topics in
the next couple of months via email that we feel are worth conversing
about, and then assign the best topics each to a month. I could set up
a poll if it comes to needing one. Then for each month during 2011, we
can have a base topic for discussion and tack on other related/smaller
topics as requested.

Sharon
----
Sent from my iPhone, so please excuse any typos.

ideag...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2010, 10:38:31 PM9/22/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Wow....you guys rallied...am delighted. Was feeling kinda....Eeyore-like last night.

Yes, sounds like a great idea to come up with a list of topics ahead of time.

And yes, I usually plan to send this thing out ahead of time...and well...tempus keeps fugitting!

The topic I had in mind for last night, ironically, was about

  • Commitment.
Manager to Community, Members to Community, etc. Is there Commitment-Aversion in communities the same where there can be in relationships....can it get to close to fast and scare people away? Can the CM get overwhelmed with the commitment and need some space (It's not you, it's me).

Other topics that came to mind:

  • Legal Issues in Communities
Privacy policies: How to protect user identity and anonymity if that is a desired community component to create "openness"...what if the platform you're using does protect identity?

Intellectual Property: who owns posted content. If a user wants to leave the community, does the platform allow then to delete their membership, does their content disappear with it...if so, what happens to threads in a discussion that attach to it? If not...what happens to that orphaned content if the owners account records are gone. What liability does a site have if its members publish the IP of someone else.

Acceptable Use: What ought to be in an Acceptable Use Agreement. What expectations for behavior should be set and how? How should infractions be handled? What requirement is there to determine grounds for banning from the site and setting expectations for what gets someone banned.

Are there any IP attorneys here in PDX we could invite to talk and answer questions?
  • Business Models that really work: Balancing free with fee
  • Metrics that Paint the right Picture....and for whom: What are the most useful elements to measure, what tools work best (free vs. paid), How to spin metrics to gain credibility and open pocketbooks.
  • Nichifying vs. Generalizing: Does it make sense to have a number of smaller communities that are separate or large communities that cut across many interests? How big is the right size?
  • Holding a Tiger by the Tail: So you launched the community...how do you maintain it and keep the community a community?
THANKS!

I would love to have your help. Perhaps let's try for one more meeting in October and then call it until January.

Thoughts?

Ann

Dawn Foster

Sep 23, 2010, 12:32:37 AM9/23/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I have a conflict with the October meeting, but don't let that stop anything :)

Dawn

ideag...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2010, 6:21:47 PM9/23/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Dawn:

Shall we move the meeting to another night for Oct. Would be happy to do that. Is there a night that week that will work? We can field it and see if others have the same conflict...

AM

Dawn Foster

Sep 24, 2010, 12:19:40 PM9/24/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
My Mom is in town for most of October, so probably better to hold the
meeting without me, and I'll pick back up in January :)

Dawn

John David Smith

Sep 24, 2010, 2:08:24 PM9/24/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com

OK, Folks!

Let’s use this Doodle poll to figure out if there’s a better evening in October.  Vote here:

  http://www.doodle.com/tmb9igbr75cvsqvi

Voting is fun.  I just did!  And after I voted I got a Google advertisement for radios sold through Bing!

And how about giving ourselves till Tuesday Sept 28 to vote.  After that, Ann calls it.

John

* John David Smith ~ Voice: 503.963.8229 ~ Skype & Twitter: smithjd

* “The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” GB Shaw

Mark Dilley

Sep 24, 2010, 2:10:48 PM9/24/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
I just doodled and got a pretty picture!

John David Smith

Sep 24, 2010, 5:41:55 PM9/24/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com

While we’re at it, I’ve been using BuddyPress software for a new project: http://buddypress.org  It’s AMAZINGly good for an almost free platform.  It’s only serious lack for a small community is search, which might improve, given an active open-source community that’s developing it.

http://copcop.org is an interesting example that puts it to work which I just joined.  Let’s be friends!  It’s not “officially open” but we could join and take over!

ideag...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2010, 2:51:03 AM9/25/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
John: Thanks for setting this up! Okay...I voted too. You got an advertisement for a radio....I got an ad for an online PhD program...LOL!

Thanks all who voted...and please vote if you haven't and you want to keep the CM-PDX group meeting going.

:-) Cheers,
Ann

===========================

Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:22 PM
To: online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [CMs PDX] Tonight's Online Community Manager's Meeting CANCELLED

Dawn:

ideag...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2010, 2:53:30 AM9/25/10
to online_communi...@googlegroups.com
Okie dokie....

We'll wait until Tuesday to see how the voting goes to decide on a night. And then if you need a break from Mom..you can slip away and join us.

:-) Ann