June 10th One Year Bible Readings

Mike - OYB

Jun 10, 2024, 12:12:33 AMJun 10
to Noreply-spamdigest via One Year Bible, Noreply-spamdigest via MySpace_OneYearBible

1 Kings 7:1-50 + Acts 7:30-50 + Psalm 128:1-6 + Proverbs 16:31-33
~ Click here to read today's Scripture on Bible Gateway ~
~ Listen to today's Scripture with Tom Dooley’s terrific NLT 1996 readings at this link or The ESV Bible: OT + NT + Psalms + Proverbs ~

Old Testament - Today we read about the building of King Solomon's Palace! Here is an interesting note in Tyndale's One Year Bible Companion on the Sea discussed in verse 23 - "Then Huram cast a large round tank, 15 feet across from rim to rim; it was called the Sea. It was 7 1/2 feet deep and about 45 feet in circumference."  Apparently the sea was a huge tank that could hold approximately 12,000 gallons of water.  It was used by the priests for their ceremonial washings.  Impressive structure per the image below!

Templesea

New Testament - Stephen's great sermon to the temple council continues today!  Great timing on his sermonizing in verses 46 through 50 related to the Temple Solomon built - ""David found favor with God and asked for the privilege of building a permanent Temple for the God of Jacob. But it was Solomon who actually built it. However, the Most High doesn't live in temples made by human hands. As the prophet says, `Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Could you ever build me a temple as good as that?' asks the Lord. `Could you build a dwelling place for me? Didn't I make everything in heaven and earth?'"  The last 2 verses came from Isaiah chapter 66 verses 1 & 2 (as the prophet says..)  Indeed it is true!  We do not need a temple for God today.  God does not live in a temple built by human hands.  I have heard it said before - "If you are in relationship with God through his son Jesus, you are God's temple."  Do you believe this is true?  Do you believe that your body is a temple that God can live in?

A great look at the characteristics of Stephen's sermon today is at Bible.org at this link.

Psalms - Psalm 128 verse 1 stands out today: "How happy are those who fear the LORD-- all who follow his ways!" Do you think it is possible to be happy and to fear God at the same time?  Do you believe a healthy fear of God is, well, healthy?  Why would we fear God - God who loves us immensely?  What is this Psalmist saying to us today in our lives?

Proverbs - I love Proverbs 16 verse 31 today!  "Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained by living a godly life."  Let us pray that we all get gray hair - and be thankful for it!  Don't dye it away.  It is a crown of glory!

Greyhair

Worship God: Today's readings remind me of Tauren Wells’ terrific song “Hills and Valleys:”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4rRCjrAyCs

Do you know the God of the hills and valleys?  Click here and Be Known!

Please join us in memorizing and meditating on a verse of Scripture today: "Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life." Proverbs 16:31 (NIV)

Prayer Point: Pray that you will one day have a crown of splendor of gray hair. Pray that you will live a righteous life through faith in Jesus. Pray that you love, respect and serve those in your life today that have a crown of splendor of gray hair.

Comments from You & Questions of the Day:  Per Psalm 128:1 today, what are some ways that you are literally "fearing the Lord" in your life today?  Do you agree with the Psalmist that those who fear the Lord are happy?  Why or why not?  Have you gone through periods of your life where you did not fear the Lord?  Were you happy then?  Also, what verses or insights stand out to you in today's readings? Please post up by clicking on the "Comments" link below!

God bless,
Mike

p.s. Download our monthly Small Group study notes for our One Year Bible readings at this link.

p.s. #2 - Download a schedule of our One Year Bible readings for the year in PDF format at this link.

p.s. #3 - I would greatly appreciate it if you would pray for this One Year Bible Blog ministry today! Please also consider partnering with us by financially supporting this ministry. Thank you!

Posted at 09:09 PM | Permalink

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

1 Kings 7:1-51
The first thing I noticed in today is reading, Solomon took almost twice as long to build his palace then he did to build the Temple. I know that God does not dwell manmade places or created things, yet it seems disingenuous to spend more time with his palace then a Temple he built to give glory to God. There can be a multitude of reasons why his own personal residence took longer, he may have used more workers to build the temple, and they may have put in longer hours to build it.. Just seems kind of curious in my opinion.

Acts 7:30-50
Stephen points out in his message that Israel sacrificed in the desert and they had the appearance of worshiping God; however, they were really worshiping pagan gods. We too can find ourselves sitting in church every time the door flies open, singing and worshiping God; however, our hearts are like Israel, focused on other gods. I also find it interesting that when God describes idolatry it is compared to a husband or wife committing adultery (Jer 3:8-9)/

Psalm 128:1-6

According to Proverbs understanding The Fear of the Lord requires diligent pursuit of:
a. God’s Words and accepting them once you receive them.
b. Crying out for knowledge and understanding.
c. Seeking and searching after that Word as if you are mining for Silver, God and all hidden treasures,

Then one will understand godly fear as well as gain knowledge of God
(Proverbs 2:1-5)

That being the case one cannot really explain the Fear of the Lord to anyone who has not done the above and one who hasn’t done the above cannot explain the “Fear to others.

One can also take note of Proverb 8:13,

To fear the LORD is to hate evil …
This is a clear, concise definition of what it is to fear the Lord. It is hating what God hates.
Proverbs 16:31-33
The thirty-second verse of chapter 16 contains a word that I have been exploring in the bible for about five years, self-control. If you search out Proverbs, you will see that “self-control” is the foundation or core behavior in becoming grounded in God. In fact, it takes self-control to acquire understanding in “The Fear of the Lord.”

Posted by: Ramona