June 19th One Year Bible Readings

Mike - OYB

Jun 19, 2024, 12:01:04 AM (12 days ago) Jun 19
to Noreply-spamdigest via One Year Bible, Noreply-spamdigest via MySpace_OneYearBible

1 Kings 20:1-21:29 + Acts 12:24-13:15 + Psalm 137:1-9 + Proverbs 17:16
~ Click here to read today's Scripture on Bible Gateway ~
~ Listen to today's Scripture with Tom Dooley’s terrific NLT 1996 readings at this link or The ESV Bible: OT + NT + Psalms + Proverbs ~

Old Testament - In 1 Kings 20 today we read about King Ahab's battles with King Ben-hadad of Aram.  Verse 11 today was sharp! "The king of Israel sent back this answer: "A warrior still dressing for battle should not boast like a warrior who has already won.""  Not a bad little saying from Ahab to Ben-hadad!  Sounds sort of like a Proverb.  Actually, this really sounds like our modern day saying of: "Don't count your chickens before they hatch!"  :)

Chickens_hatch

Alas, even though King Ahab was given victories by God's grace in today's readings, he goofs things up by letting King Ben-hadad of Aram go free. Then, as we get into First Kings chapter 21 today, things go from bad to worse for Ahab in terms of his relationship with God.  Chapter 21 is a sad story of Naboth and his vineyard...  Would it be safe to say that King Ahab was coveting Naboth's vineyard?  Would Ahab be breaking a commandment in the Mosaic Law here in this image...?

Nabothsvineyard

I couldn't quite remember why Jezebel was cast in such a bad light in our readings a few days ago.  Today I remember why...  It is great to see Elijah show up on the scene and say to Ahab in verse 20 - "I have come because you have sold yourself to what is evil in the LORD's sight." How sad.  Do you think people today can still sell themselves to what is evil in God's sight?  Below is an image of Elijah denouncing Ahab for the evil that transpired over Naboth's vineyard in today's readings.

Elijah_naboth

Bible.org's commentary on today's 1 Kings readings titled "Israel's Deliverance" is at this link and "Ahab Buys the Farm or Payday Someday" is at this link.

New Testament - Wow.  It is fun to read about Paul's first missionary journey!  A very cool thing to note about today's readings is that Paul started his missionary journey not after an extensive planning session / retreat / etc. (all our modern day stuff of what we have to do before embarking on something...)  No!  Paul started his missionary journey after a time of worship & fasting and being filled with the Holy Spirit!  The Spirit moved and thus Paul moved!  It was that simple.  Think we can learn something from this in our lives today?  Are you listening to the Spirit's prompting in your life today?  What is the Spirit prompting you to do?  Will you do it?  Check out Acts 13 verses 2 and 3 that show all it took for Paul to begin his missionary journey: "One day as these men were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Dedicate Barnabas and Saul for the special work I have for them." So after more fasting and prayer, the men laid their hands on them and sent them on their way."

Paul_missionary

I am a huge fan of Paul's epistles, and greatly enjoyed verses 9 through 11, which are Paul's first words that we've read in Acts since his conversion on the road to Damascus - "Then Saul, also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked the sorcerer in the eye and said, "You son of the Devil, full of every sort of trickery and villainy, enemy of all that is good, will you never stop perverting the true ways of the Lord? And now the Lord has laid his hand of punishment upon you, and you will be stricken awhile with blindness.""  Paul was no joke!  Below is a map of Paul's first missionary journey:

Paul1stjourney

I love the way today's Acts readings finish up in verses 14 & 15 - "Barnabas and Paul traveled inland to Antioch of Pisidia.  On the Sabbath they went to the synagogue for the services. After the usual readings from the books of Moses and from the Prophets, those in charge of the service sent them this message: "Brothers, if you have any word of encouragement for us, come and give it!"  Uh-oh!  Think the folks in charge of the service are ready for a word from Paul and Barnabas?  :)  Stay tuned for the word of encouragement from Paul in tomorrow's readings!  Below is an image of Barnabas:

Barnabas

Bible.org's commentary on today's readings in Acts titled "What a Way to Go" is at this link.

Psalms - Psalm 137 is a Psalm reflecting upon the Israelites exile in Babylon and about how much Jerusalem was missed.  We also read about a call to punish Edom for their rejoicing in the fall of Jerusalem.  Later this year we will read prophesies against Edom in the book of the prophet Obadiah.  Below is an image of ancient Jerusalem - the tower of David - that this Psalmist missed greatly:

Jerusalem2020the20tower20of20david

Proverbs - Proverb 17 verse 16 is interesting to consider: "It is senseless to pay tuition to educate a fool who has no heart for wisdom."   This is a great question for each of us to ask ourselves.  Today in your life - do you have a heart for wisdom?  What type of "tuition" are you paying to gain wisdom / to be educated?  Are you paying the "tuition" of time invested in studying the Bible each day?  Are you paying the "tuition" of joining a Bible study at your church?  What other types of "tuition" are you paying to gain wisdom?  Will you pray to God today for a heart for wisdom?

Graduation

Worship Video: Today's readings in Acts about Paul's missionary journey reminds me of the Britt Nicole song "The Lost Get Found:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO2prEoATH8

Are you Lost?  Click here to be Found!

Please join us in memorizing and meditating on a verse of Scripture today: "But the word of God continued to increase and spread." Acts 12:24 (NIV)

Prayer Point: Pray that the Word of God continues to increase and spread in our world today. Pray that you are part of helping the Word of God increase and spread.

Comments from You:  What verses or insights stand out to you in today's readings?  Please post up by clicking on the "Comments" link below!

God bless,
Mike

p.s. Download our monthly Small Group study notes for our One Year Bible readings at this link.

p.s. #2 - Download a schedule of our One Year Bible readings for the year in PDF format at this link.

p.s. #3 - I would greatly appreciate it if you would pray for this One Year Bible Blog ministry today! Please also consider partnering with us by financially supporting this ministry. Thank you!

Posted at 08:58 PM | Permalink

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I Kings 20:1-21:29

Today’s reading gives proof that the goodness, blessings and mercies of God fall on the just and the unjust. Ahab, an ungodly king is given godly wisdom and favor. God’s mercies reign down on him to show him for a second time that God is indeed God over all the false gods that he and his wife, Jezebel, look to for guidance and protection.

Even when Ahab keeps alive Ben-hadad, whom he should have killed, even after acquiring Naboth’s Vineyard by giving his wife free reign to do as she pleases, the mercy of God (not getting what one truly deserves) the judgment called upon him by Elijah is stayed because Ahab humbles himself. However, the judgment is not really stayed only delayed until the next generation.

Someone must serve our choices, our decisions because we live in a cause and effect world. If we truly care for future generations, we will temper our choices and decisions with the Wisdom of God. For better or worse, they will suffer the consequences, good or bad, of the choices we make.

Acts 12:24-13:15

Matthew 6
24 No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stand by and be devoted to the one and despise and be against the other. You cannot serve God and mammon (deceitful riches, money, possessions, or whatever is trusted in). AMP

Opposition to the gospel when really looked at is all about money and how to gain possession of more. Paul states in his letter to Timothy (I Timothy 6:10), For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.

Although we screw this up and say money is the root, it really is the love of money. Elymas, the sorcerer was about to loose his meal ticket so his opposition to the Gospel centered on his appetite for recognition and the wealth his status would bring him. Little did he know there are greater riches to be had. These riches are not measured by human standards but God’s standards. The God, who created all things, including the gold, silver and diamonds man seeks after, gives us Himself. He is that Pearl of Great Price.

Psalm 137:1-9

For Christians our Jerusalem is carried in our hearts. Jerusalem = "teaching of peace" according to the Hebrew Lexicon. Jesus said in the fourteenth chapter of John,
27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Since Jesus gave us peace then our Jerusalem is within us, in our hearts. So unlike the exiles who were captives in Babylon, no matter our circumstances, no matter our longitude or latitude we can always sing praises to our God. We are without excuse.

Grace and peace,
Ramona

Posted by: Ramona