February 6th One Year Bible Readings

Mike - OYB

Feb 5, 2024, 11:24:57 PMFeb 5
to Noreply-spamdigest via One Year Bible, Noreply-spamdigest via MySpace_OneYearBible

Exodus 23:14-25:40 + Matthew 24:29-51 + Psalm 30:1-12 + Proverbs 7:24-27
~ Click here to read today's Scripture on Bible Gateway ~
~ Listen to today's Scripture with Tom Dooley’s terrific NLT 1996 readings at this link The ESV Bible: OT + NT + Psalms + Proverbs ~

Old Testament - Today in Exodus chapter 23 we read about the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the Festival of Harvest, and the Festival of Final Harvest (also known as Festival of Booths or Ingathering or Tabernacles).  Commentary on Exodus chapter 24, entitled "The Magnificent Meal on Mt. Sinai" is at bible.org at this link.  This old covenant meal was a foreshadowing of Jesus' new covenant Last Supper with his disciples just before his death and resurrection. In chapter 24 Moses is called up on the mountain for forty days and forty nights - similarly Jesus spent forty days and forty nights in the desert after his baptism and before beginning his public ministry. Below is a wonderful image by C.F. Vos of Moses receiving the Law from God on Mount Sinai:

Moses_sinai

New Testament - Jesus' teaching in Matthew chapter 24 verse 36 has always stood out to me - particularly when my friends today want to dive into conversations about "if" the end is near: "However, no one knows the day or the hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows." No one knows the day or the hour - only God.  Good for us to keep in mind. We're not God. :)   For more commentary on "The Textual Problem Of oujdeV oJ uiJov" In Matthew 24:36" at bible.org click on this link.  No, I don't think oujdeV oJ uiJov is a typo.  :)  Can someone tell me - is this the original Greek?  I think so.

End_times

Verse 35 is an amazing reminder that Jesus' words in the Bible will outlast every single material thing around us today: "Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will remain forever."   Do you believe that Jesus' words will remain forever?  Commentary on Matthew 24:40-41 called "Taken for Salvation or Judgment?" is online at bible.org at this link.

End_times_

Psalms - Today in Psalm 30 verses 4 through 5 we read: “Sing to the Lord; you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.” How does this verse speak to you? Do you believe that God’s anger can last only a moment, but his favor last a lifetime? If you are weeping now in some area of your life, do you believe that God can bring rejoicing to you? Will you pray to God to grant you favor in this life and in life everlasting? Will you pray to God to heal any situation that you are weeping over today, and to bring you rejoicing tomorrow? Do you look forward to this rejoicing that will allow you to sing to the Lord as a saint and to praise his holy name?

Worship__

Proverbs - Proverbs chapter 7 verse 25 reminds us once again of the importance of guarding our hearts, the very wellspring of our lives: "Don't let your hearts stray away..."  Is there anything in your life that is causing your heart to stray away from God's Truth?  Will you not allow you heart to go down that dangerous path?  Will you return your heart's allegiance wholly to your Maker and Provider?  Will you allow your heart to be chained to God alone, and not to any temptations or sins?

Heart_chained

Worship Video:  Matthew 24:35 reminded me of the amazing MercyMe song "Word of God Speak."  Here's a video of some great images and Scripture verses set to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JK_6osCH74

Have you hear God's voice? Click here for the Word of God!

Please join us in memorizing and meditating on a verse of Scripture today: "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away." Matthew 24:35 NIV

Prayer Point: Pray that you would read and study God's Word each and every day knowing that it is eternal.

Comments from You and Questions of the Day:  In today and yesterday's readings in Matthew chapter 24 we read about the end times.  Do you do much study of the end times?  What are some books or resources or websites you could point others to, to study more about the end times?  I have to admit, I don't think about the end times very much.  I know they will come, but I guess I feel like focusing on the end times too much might distract me from doing other ministry here and now.  How often do you think about the end times? Do you think there should be a balance of time and study when it comes to reflecting on the end times versus being active in ministry in our world today?  Also, what verses or insights stand out to you in today's readings?  Please post up by clicking on the "Comments" link below!

God bless,
Mike

p.s. Download our monthly Small Group study notes for our One Year Bible readings at this link.

p.s. #2 - Download a schedule of our One Year Bible readings for the year in PDF format at this link.

p.s. #3 - I would greatly appreciate it if you would pray for this One Year Bible Blog ministry today! Please also consider partnering with us by financially supporting this ministry. Thank you!

Posted at 09:23 PM | Permalink

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I already know that we are in the last days and so I don’t spend energy trying to figure out if I’m post, pre or whatever “rapture.” I have heard too many unproductive arguments and verbal fighting over which is which and who is right. It doesn’t matter to me because my salvation is not based on which one I believe in and I avoid like the plague conversations that focus on this subject. We are saved by faith, not by fear. So frightening people into the kingdom ain’t going to work. Maybe what will work are those who do hear folks talking about this topic and then they go on a search for the Truth. Of course along the way while looking for Truth, they will find Jesus who is Truth.

Exodus 23:14-25:40

So often, when I read God’s Word I have to be reminded that the Bible confirms itself, each book explains and confirms all other books. As I read verses twenty through twenty-three, of the twenty-third chapter, the words of David’s Twenty-third Psalm flooded my thoughts,

Behold, I send an Angel before you to keep and guard you on the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared…. When My Angel goes before you and brings you to the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Canaanites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, and I reject them and blot them out, (Exodus 23:20-23 AMP)

God promised back then and still promises to day to set a table in the wilderness, in the presence of our enemies. Wow! To be a people in the world but not of the world (John 15;17) means that we live in the midst of those who don’t like us, our enemies (Matthew 12:30). God deals with His enemies, which are our enemies, by placing us in the midst of the enemies. So I put forth some rhetorical questions, who battles God’s enemies, God or us? Does our presence in the midst cause God to send “Hornets” before us to drive out His enemies, or do we wrest power and control away by political force, whichever way we believe that may manifests itself? In other words, can we legislate righteous behavior?

Grace and peace,
Ramona

Posted by: Ramona