OneSocialWeb Project Status

Niels Ole Salscheider

Jan 5, 2012, 9:19:31 AM1/5/12
to onesocialweb
Hello,

I am consindering to implement a XMPP based social web protocol in a
desktop application.
Would you recommend to go with OSW or are there other projects that
are considered to be a better alternative nowadays?

<Daniel.Appelqu...@vodafone.com> wrote:
> We will Continue to work on the protocol, and will support any
> implementers (such as ProcessOne) and collaborate with them to improve
it
> and expand it. Our intention is to contribute the work we have done on
> XMPP
> extensions (e.g. Activity Streams over XMPP) into the relevant XMPP
> technical committees.

Is this still true? I would have considerably less reservations to
spend time on that project if the OSW protocol was proposed as a XEP
and I think others might agree.

Is ProcessOne still working on OSW support for ejabberd? Is there any
code to try?

Regards,

Ole

James Tait

Jan 5, 2012, 2:07:25 PM1/5/12
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com
On 05/01/12 14:19, Niels Ole Salscheider wrote:
> I am consindering to implement a XMPP based social web protocol in a
> desktop application.
> Would you recommend to go with OSW or are there other projects that
> are considered to be a better alternative nowadays?

I hope this won't be considered bad form, but I haven't seen or heard of
any progress on OSW for many months now, so I've recently begun
concentrating efforts on buddycloud [0] instead, which is also XMPP-based.

> <Daniel.Appelqu...@vodafone.com> wrote:
>> We will Continue to work on the protocol, and will support any
>> implementers (such as ProcessOne) and collaborate with them to improve
> it
>> and expand it. Our intention is to contribute the work we have done on
>> XMPP
>> extensions (e.g. Activity Streams over XMPP) into the relevant XMPP
>> technical committees.
>
> Is this still true? I would have considerably less reservations to
> spend time on that project if the OSW protocol was proposed as a XEP
> and I think others might agree.

Agreed. I don't think it's been proposed yet, but the buddycloud
protocol is written up as a XEP. [1]

> Is ProcessOne still working on OSW support for ejabberd? Is there any
> code to try?

Again, buddycloud is already usable with ejabberd (my preferred setup)
[2, 3].

I don't mean to rain on the OSW parade and I hope people on this list
won't take offense. I'd be happy to be involved in OSW again if it does
turn out to still be active.

JT

[0] http://buddycloud.com/
[1] https://buddycloud.org/wiki/XMPP_XEP
[2] https://buddycloud.org/wiki/Install
[3] https://buddycloud.org/wiki/Installing_buddycloud_on_ejabberd

James Tait, BSc | xmpp:jayt...@wyrddreams.org
Programmer and Free Software advocate | Tel: +44 (0)870 490 2407

Daniel Bo

Jan 5, 2012, 6:02:07 PM1/5/12
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com
James,

Considering that the OSW team was basically dissolved, I don't think
you're out of line to recommend an active project at all.

Daniel Bo

Luca Faggioli

Jan 6, 2012, 3:44:07 AM1/6/12
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com
yeap, i agree! due to several reasons the project is pretty much dead :-(

2012/1/6, Daniel Bo <dae...@gmail.com>:

--
Inviato dal mio dispositivo mobile

Luca Faggioli
OneSocialWeb JID: lu...@social.openliven.com

Heiko Braun

Jan 6, 2012, 12:46:08 PM1/6/12
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com
+1 for buddycloud

Daniel Bo

Jan 6, 2012, 7:26:13 PM1/6/12
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry you had to be here for this thread, Luca.

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Heiko Braun <ike....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> +1 for buddycloud

Daniel E. Renfer

Jan 6, 2012, 10:16:34 PM1/6/12
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Bo

Niels Ole Salscheider

Jan 7, 2012, 8:18:12 AM1/7/12
to onesocialweb
Hello,

> If you really want to contribute to a distributed social network using
> XMPP, then go with Buddycloud as it most certainly has a brighter future.

I will have a look at buddycloud then. What I like about OSW is that
it's protocol consists of 4 smaller parts that could be proposed as a
XEP and might have a chance to get accepted. At the first glance,
buddyclound's protocol seems to be one big chunk.

Regards,

Ole

PS: Having a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_social_network#Comparison_of_projects
I wonder if there is not way too much fragmentation for any of these
projects to gather a noteworthy userbase...

Tuomas Koski

Jan 7, 2012, 8:47:01 AM1/7/12
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ole,

On 7 January 2012 14:18, Niels Ole Salscheider
<niels.ole....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,

> Daniel wrote:
>> If you really want to contribute to a distributed social network using
>> XMPP, then go with Buddycloud as it most certainly has a brighter future.
>
> I will have a look at buddycloud then. What I like about OSW is that
> it's protocol consists of 4 smaller parts that could be proposed as a
> XEP and might have a chance to get accepted. At the first glance,
> buddyclound's protocol seems to be one big chunk.

<as buddycloud dev>

Yes, it's a pretty big chunk. The reason for it is that we first want
to get a working solution before thinking too much of making it a
protocol.

<as buddycloud dev/>

I would be happy if you would join us on buddycloud-dev mailing list
(https://groups.google.com/group/buddycloud-dev) or our conference
channel (see...@buddycloud.org) to share your ideas, concerns and feedback.

We are an open team. All code is available in the github
(https://github.com/buddycloud). We have also a wiki
(https://buddycloud.org/wiki/Main_Page) if that kind of contribution
interest.

Hope to hear from you more soon!

Cheers,
--
Tuomas

Daniel Appelquist

Jan 7, 2012, 10:39:37 AM1/7/12
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com, Diana Cheng
Hi all --

From a perspective of an ex-"product manager" on OSW I would love to see the protocol and code taken up and used by others. Everything is open source. However, if anyone would like to evolve the protocol significantly then I would like to recommend doing it within the context of a w3c community group: http://www.w3.org/community/

Community groups are a new process by which working groups can be spun up quickly with very little overhead and no cost - groups that anyone can participate in (not only people from w3c member organizations). Although I cannot offer much of my time right now I would definitely help set up the infrastructure and support for creation of such a group.

</end-plug>

Thanks and best of luck,
Dan

Melvin Carvalho

Jan 11, 2012, 12:08:52 PM1/11/12
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com, Diana Cheng

+1 to community group

If someone wants to start one, I'd be happy to vote it up. I'm sure
it would not be an issue to get it approved ...

Evan Prodromou

Jan 11, 2012, 4:57:16 PM1/11/12
to Andreas Kuckartz, onesoc...@googlegroups.com, W3C Federated Social Web Incubator, Harry Halpin
Andreas,

I would support the creation of a new FSW community group.

However, I think Harry was planning to get it started.

Can you coordinate with him first?

-Evan