Progress update

Diana Cheng

Mar 25, 2011, 10:18:02 AM3/25/11
to onesocialweb
Hi all,

It's been a little quiet here, so I wanted to give you a progress
updated.

As I recently mentioned I have been focusing on OStatus compliance, so
I've developed support for Webfinger (deployed at the moment only on
vodafonernd.com), which means we are serving the host-meta file and
accounts xrds, as well as hcard profile pages (which include all
public information from a OSW profile). I have also added webfinger
search, so given an identifier in the web app, if a OSW profile cannot
be retrieved (XMPP), then it will do webfinger lookup and if found, it
will return the hCard profile specified there.

Next, I started working on PubSubHubub. I have completed the
subscriber use case, so I am able to subscribe to feeds by sending a
request to the hub for a given topic, and I created a callback
endpoint to echo back the challenge and process the feeds received
from the hub whenever there is an update. This part seems to be
working well, I deployed it in vodafonernd.com and I am now able to
follow and receive updates from identi.ca accounts. For the publisher
use case, I am serving feeds as well, containing the last 20 OSW
activities of a user, though at the moment I am having a bit of
trouble with some services trying to subscribe to them (for example,
it doesn't work with https://pubsubhubbub.appspot.com/subscribe but it
does work with Superfeedr). I guess I need to make sure the feeds are
perfectly valid. I could use some help with debugging this part.

So all the above has been pushed to the github to the "ostatus"
branch. It's still work in progress but feel free to try it out, and
please, do send me your comments or pull requests. I'm most happy to
changes things in order to make the implementation better.

I still need to write down some documentation to help anyone wanting
to set this up on their servers, and will do so asap.

Cheers!
Diana.

Diana Cheng

Mar 25, 2011, 11:23:39 AM3/25/11
to onesocialweb
Ah! I forgot to mention, for the PubSubHubbub implementation I'm using
the following library: http://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub-java/

I'm extending some classes from there to add custom behavior. The
library could be improved for better package structure and less
horrible exception handling :) but in general it works pretty well and
the required jars are most of them included in openfire. I'm using
rome.jar (also included in openfire) for easy parsing of Atom feeds
and entries.

Cheers,
Diana.

On Mar 25, 3:18 pm, Diana Cheng <daianach...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been a little quiet here, so I wanted to give you a progress
> updated.
>
> As I recently mentioned I have been focusing on OStatus compliance, so
> I've developed support for Webfinger (deployed at the moment only on
> vodafonernd.com), which means we are serving the host-meta file and
> accounts xrds, as well as hcard profile pages (which include all
> public information from a OSW profile). I have also added webfinger
> search, so given an identifier in the web app, if a OSW profile cannot
> be retrieved (XMPP), then it will do webfinger lookup and if found, it
> will return the hCard profile specified there.
>
> Next, I started working on PubSubHubub. I have completed the
> subscriber use case, so I am able to subscribe to feeds by sending a
> request to the hub for a given topic, and I created a callback
> endpoint to echo back the challenge and process the feeds received
> from the hub whenever there is an update. This part seems to be
> working well, I deployed it in vodafonernd.com and I am now able to
> follow and receive updates from identi.ca accounts. For the publisher
> use case, I am serving feeds as well, containing the last 20 OSW
> activities of a user, though at the moment I am having a bit of
> trouble with some services trying to subscribe to them (for example,
> it doesn't work withhttps://pubsubhubbub.appspot.com/subscribebut it

Julien Genestoux

Mar 28, 2011, 10:59:01 AM3/28/11
to onesoc...@googlegroups.com, Diana Cheng
Amazing job!
Federation across protocols is even a bigger win than federation across services!

Looking forward to a better world :)