Hiding temporary files produced by MacOS

NielsH

Apr 29, 2022, 4:27:11 AM4/29/22
to OneCommander
I work with Mac users a lot in shared folders and sharing ZIP files. Mac produces lots of temporary/hidden files (starting with '._'). I tried the "hide temporary files" feature, but this doesn't seem to apply to files produced by MacOS. Right now folders are very cluttered which forces me to use the native file explorer on the side.

Is there a way to hide these files? If not, this is a feature request :).

Thanks! Great work btw!

Milos Paripovic

Apr 29, 2022, 8:53:49 PM4/29/22
to OneCommander
I don't have anything from a mac to try...When you right click on one of those files and click properties, are they marked as hidden? If yes, then uncheck Show Hidden Files from Settings>View

NielsH

May 2, 2022, 10:58:09 AM5/2/22
to OneCommander
The files are a proprietary way for MacOS to store file information (colour labels, time machine information, etc.). When I open properties on Windows, these files are not set to hidden. The following link has a lot of interesting information and links about this.
I get them whenever someone with an apple device sends a ZIP with files, or when I open a shared folder that apple users can access as well. In MacOS Finder these files are hidden. In Unix/Windows they are not. It literally doubles the amount of files in every folder.

The files are always the same:
  • In every folder: "._.DS_Store"
  • For every subfolder: "._{foldername}"
  • For every file in a folder: "._{filename including extension}"

Milos Paripovic

May 2, 2022, 8:23:38 PM5/2/22
to OneCommander
I have just brought a USB drive from work where I've copied some files from a mac, and those files have "hidden" attribute and having
Settings>View>Show Hidden Files... OFF is hiding them (also shows grayed out when showing hidden files)
hidden.png
This is newer MacOS. Not sure where ._DS_Store is and if AFP (or however the thing after HFS+ is called) still has that

NielsH

May 3, 2022, 7:24:22 AM5/3/22
to OneCommander
That's interesting. My files don't have the hidden attribute. However, they are greyed out. In settings, show hidden files and folders is off. This combination of things is weird right?
OneCommander_NBkLZCYdM4.png

Milos Paripovic

May 3, 2022, 11:14:33 PM5/3/22
to OneCommander
It is strange and I don't know why would these be grayed out and not have "-a-h-" in attributes column... and that "._" doesn't look grayed out.
Pressing F5 to refresh folder doesn't change anything?
Please Right-Click on drive and Properties to check if File System is FAT32/ExFAT/NTFS or something else.
Those came from zip file made on a mac? I'll try to find an old mac disk at work to see how it shows in OC