Subject: Excel 2024 opens each workbook in a separate Excel instance from One Commander 3.108.0.0 I am using One Commander 3.108.0.0 Non-Commercial with Excel 2024 Home on Windows 11. When I open Excel workbooks normally from One Commander, each work

25 views
Skip to first unread message

David Burke

unread,
Sep 26, 2026, 1:30:38 PMSep 26
to OneCommander

Subject: Excel 2024 opens each workbook in a separate Excel instance from One Commander 3.108.0.0

I am using One Commander 3.108.0.0 Non-Commercial with Excel 2024 Home on Windows 11.

When I open Excel workbooks normally from One Commander, each workbook opens in a separate Excel instance/session. As a result, Excel's View → Switch Windows shows only the workbook in that particular instance rather than all open workbooks.

I have confirmed this is specific to One Commander's normal Open action:

  • Windows File Explorer: Opening two .xlsx files results in one Excel instance, and both files appear under View → Switch Windows.
  • One Commander → normal Open: Each .xlsx file opens in a separate Excel instance.
  • One Commander → right-click → Open with → Microsoft Excel: Works correctly. The workbook joins the existing Excel instance and both workbooks appear under Switch Windows.
  • Changing One Commander from single-click to double-click opening makes no difference.
  • Excel's “Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)” option is unchecked.

I also tested Settings → Advanced → Open Office files through Explorer with all four available workarounds:

  • Workaround 1: Still opens separate Excel instances.
  • Workaround 2: Produces the error: “The Process object must have the UseShellExecute property set to false in order to redirect IO streams.”
  • Workaround 3: Still opens separate Excel instances.
  • Workaround 4: Still opens separate Excel instances.

The key observation is that Open with → Microsoft Excel from within One Commander works correctly, while One Commander's normal Open action does not.

Is there a setting or configuration in One Commander 3.108.0.0 that will make the normal Open action for Excel files use the same Windows/Excel opening mechanism as Open with → Microsoft Excel, so that additional workbooks are passed to the existing Excel instance?

Thank you.

OneCommander Support

unread,
Sep 26, 2026, 1:34:30 PMSep 26
to OneCommander
I don't have any MS Office programs to test so please try v4 beta and let me know if it is different (ignore any "workaround" options in settings, those will be retired), just direct doubleclick
Download from link below, rightclick on downloaded zip>properties>unblock, extract into blank folder, run onecommander.exe (there is no install)

David Burke

unread,
Sep 27, 2026, 9:16:57 AM (14 days ago) Sep 27
to OneCommander
I did download and try Beta V4, problem persists. Thanks for the suggestion. The mission continues! Dave

OneCommander Support

unread,
Sep 27, 2026, 11:46:39 PM (13 days ago) Sep 27
to OneCommander
Try both DDE options in Excel because V4 should be using it, and I will look to install Excel in a VM to test in a few days
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages