Enable or disable login autocomplete?

Martin Dittus

Mar 28, 2012, 1:12:39 PM3/28/12
to oneclickor...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

a tweet by a user just pointed out that our login forms disable autocomplete, which makes logging in inconvenient. We made this change a few months ago on the recommendation of a security researcher who had graciously offered a security audit, but admittedly have not spent much time discussing the UX implications.

What's everyone's opinion on this? It seems like a trade-off between convenience and security; do people think the nature of our service warrants this change, or would we rather rely on our users to make their own decision when they log in?

martind

(On a related note, enough time has passed that we may be able to convince Chris to share the results of the security audit, it may be interesting reading to some. Let us know if you'd like to see it.)

Mark Steward

Mar 28, 2012, 1:15:56 PM3/28/12
to oneclickor...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, I found this annoying and wondered whether it was intentional. I
don't think there's any reason to disable autocomplete - did the
researcher explain their reasoning?

Mark

Martin Dittus

Mar 28, 2012, 1:23:20 PM3/28/12
to oneclickor...@googlegroups.com
The audit report itself merely states that such passwords can be recovered, and that applications that require a higher level of security should disable them.

I.e., it really depends on our interpretation of how secure we want to be.

(I'm also wondering if we have usage data from before and after the change to see if it affected our traffic at all. I'm not even sure whether we capture that in any meaningful manner though, we don't install trackers and I doubt that we retain old server logs.)

m.

Mark Steward

Mar 28, 2012, 1:30:01 PM3/28/12
to oneclickor...@googlegroups.com
So is there a reason to stick it on the form rather than the password
field? I think the Google Toolbar will let you autocomplete stuff
regardless of its status anyway.

Mark

Russ Garrett

Mar 28, 2012, 1:39:53 PM3/28/12
On 28 March 2012 18:23, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The audit report itself merely states that such passwords can be recovered, and that applications that require a higher level of security should disable them.

I think with Firefox you can recover passwords if you have physical
access to the machine. But the alternative to using a password manager
to most people is probably writing the password down (or putting it in
a text file). So I think that's a bit of a bogus recommendation.

(LastPass lets me bypass disabled autocomplete, so I don't really care...)

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Martin Dittus

Mar 28, 2012, 1:40:20 PM3/28/12
to oneclickor...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually more thinking that there's a good case to make for removing this restriction altogether.

The somewhat philosophical question is whether a service that lets you run legal organisations requires a higher security standard than any random shopping site.

And on the other hand virtually any change most users can make on OCO first requires approval by their peers; so while the potential impact may be high there are strong social barriers in place.

m.

Mark Steward

Mar 28, 2012, 1:47:37 PM3/28/12
to oneclickor...@googlegroups.com

Quite. Your account is only as secure as your email, and I note that Hotmail has it set on the password field only, while Gmail doesn't have it at all.

Definitely worth including in any threat models though.

Martin Dittus

Mar 28, 2012, 1:55:18 PM3/28/12
to oneclickor...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so unless someone has a killer argument we missed it sounds like we should undo that change.

Thanks for everyone's quick feedback!

m.

Adam McGreggor

Mar 28, 2012, 2:00:22 PM3/28/12
to One Click Orgs / Devspace
On Mar 28, 6:12 pm, Martin Dittus <deks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> a tweet by a user just pointed out that our login forms disable
> autocomplete, which makes logging in inconvenient. We made
> this change a few months ago on the recommendation of a
> security researcher who had graciously offered a security audit,
> but admittedly have not spent much time discussing the UX implications.

I suspect that user would be me. Hello ;o)

> What's everyone's opinion on this? It seems like a trade-off between
> convenience and security; do people think the nature of our service
> warrants this change, or would we rather rely on our users to make
> their own decision when they log in?

Whilst I'm not an active security researcher, I have more than an
ounce of common sense.

Whilst lastpass &c may allow by-passing of these 'features', not
everyone has them installed (I'm waiting for it to be discounted,
again), wants to install them, or gives a fig. Ordinary users probably
just use their web-browsers' default 'remember password' settings.

Security, as I tweeted (but now elaborating a bit more), is fucking
pointless when the alternative is to (a) write them down, along with
what they are for, or (b) use the same (small series) of passwords.

(CBA'd using my proper email address given my immense hatred
of google groups. Own view, despite company address &c.)

Adam McGreggor

Mar 28, 2012, 2:05:40 PM3/28/12
to One Click Orgs / Devspace
On Mar 28, 6:40 pm, Martin Dittus <deks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm actually more thinking that there's a good case to make
> for removing this restriction altogether.

+1 ;o)

> The somewhat philosophical question is whether a service that
> lets you run legal organisations requires a higher security standard
> than any random shopping site.

My banks (UK and abroad) allow me to store their associated username
fields.

Webmail allows me to save u&p combos.

I don't think so. if you're bothered about falsifying an association
amendment/policy, then implement some sort of GPG &c
functionality... not that normal people use GPG, mind.

(but a simple wrapper might help_

> And on the other hand virtually any change most users can
> make on OCO first requires approval by their peers; so while
> the potential impact may be high there are strong social
> barriers in place.

That too.

Chris Mear

Apr 4, 2012, 10:28:18 AM4/4/12
to oneclickor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for the good discussion. I've removed the anti-autocomplete attribute here:

This will go into our next release, hopefully later this week.

Chris

Martin Dittus

Apr 4, 2012, 10:31:27 AM4/4/12
to oneclickor...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, thank you!

m.

Chris Mear

Apr 5, 2012, 6:32:32 PM4/5/12
On Wednesday, 28 March 2012 at 18:12, Martin Dittus wrote:
(On a related note, enough time has passed that we may be able to convince Chris to share the results of the security audit, it may be interesting reading to some. Let us know if you'd like to see it.)
I can certainly do this; all the juicy bits have been revealed already in the release notes anyway. It would be good to share a proper write-up.

Chris