Missing dependencies in JAR

Francois Rioux

Jul 20, 2020, 10:47:07 AM7/20/20
to onebusaway-developers
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an app and I use OneBusAway to read and handle GTFS files. So far it's been great and easy to use. However I ran in a rather difficult issue where when bundling my app in a JAR archive and running it the GtfsReader simply hangs while reading the GTFS with no error message. I am suspecting that this is due to missing dependencies which are not bundled correctly when I build the JAR.

Does anyone have a list of all the dependencies OneBusAway requires so I can make sure everything is included as needed?

Many thanks and best regards,
Francois R

Sheldon A. Brown

Jul 20, 2020, 1:30:23 PM7/20/20
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
That doesn't sound familiar. More likely you're run out of memory
(either Heap or Stack) and the JVM has locked up. I would suggest
enabling some JVM logging facilities (it used to be -verbosegc) to
debug further.

If you are using a JAR file from one of the public repositories the
maven release process ensures everything is included.

Best of luck,

Sheldon

Francois Rioux

Jul 20, 2020, 3:56:27 PM7/20/20
to onebusaway-developers
Thank you for your quick answer. I will investigate possible memory issues. Since this behavior started unexpectedly without really changing the structure of my project this seems like a plausible cause.

I was suspecting the issue to be related to dependencies since I had a similar problem a while back that I solved by adding the slf4j binaires needed by OBA in my JAR.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 10:47 AM Francois Rioux <riou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am currently working on an app and I use OneBusAway to read and handle GTFS files. So far it's been great and easy to use. However I ran in a rather difficult issue where when bundling my app in a JAR archive and running it the GtfsReader simply hangs while reading the GTFS with no error message. I am suspecting that this is due to missing dependencies which are not bundled correctly when I build the JAR.
>
> Does anyone have a list of all the dependencies OneBusAway requires so I can make sure everything is included as needed?
>
> Many thanks and best regards,
> Francois R

Francois Rioux

Jul 21, 2020, 12:02:04 PM7/21/20
to onebusaway-developers
I found the issue, it was indeed caused by missing dependencies as I suspected. Turns out I was missing some dependencies of slf4j, itself a dependency of onebusaway-csv-entities.

Sheldon A. Brown

Jul 21, 2020, 12:28:37 PM7/21/20
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Glad you found it.

At some point if you don't mind, can you provide more detail for the
mailing list and others who may search this thread? Things like
versions and pom files? I still don't quite understand your problem it
seems...

Thanks,

Sheldon

Francois Rioux

Jul 21, 2020, 3:17:09 PM7/21/20
to onebusaway-developers
I am using onebusaway-gtfs:1.3.9 however the issue was entirely on my side. I had all the necessary librairies and it ran fine in my IDE, the problem was my own build definition for the jar file didn't include all the required librairies. I am using Intellij IDEA so maybe this is what might have caused the problem since I also use onebusaway-gtfs:1.3.9 in another project using Eclispe and it packages just fine.

Once again thank you for your time,
Francois R