AJP Protocol

Devin Braun

Mar 9, 2022, 4:59:00 PM3/9/22
to onebusaway-developers
Hi everyone,

Does OBA use the AJP protocol?  Our IT department said that their scan show that AJP exists in OBA but they are not sure if it's relevant to the security issue at hand.  There is an apparent exploit right now with this protocol and we need to know if we need to mitigate the vulnerability.

Thanks,

Devin

Sean Barbeau

Mar 10, 2022, 2:08:42 PM3/10/22
to onebusaway-developers
Devin,
I assume you're talking about this:

Not to my knowledge, but Sheldon would have a better idea. I'll caveat this with I've never used AJP myself.

Isn't AJP something used for server to server communication? I thought this would be configured for the web server container that oba is hosted inside of, like Apache Tomcat, and not for OBA itself. So it would be possible to set up an architecture where the server sends proxy requests via AJP to a server that OBA is hosted inside of, but that's not dictated by the OBA application itself

Sean

Sheldon A. Brown

Mar 11, 2022, 7:20:09 AM3/11/22
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Sean explained it well, if you wanted to put an Apache or IIS
WebServer in front of OneBusAway for static content or proxying, you
could then use AJP to talk to Tomcat on the back end.

Assuming you are not doing that, you don't need AJP. To prevent
Tomcat from setting up AJP comment out this line in your Tomcat
conf/server.xml:

<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />

Sheldon

Devin Braun

Mar 15, 2022, 6:34:01 PM3/15/22
to onebusaway-developers
Thanks, as always, for the sage advice!

We commented out the relevant part of the Tomcat config.

Devin