New experimental region

Md Saroar Jahan

Aug 2, 2022, 8:15:28 AM8/2/22
to onebusaway-developers
Hello,

I have setup an OneBusAway server for Adelaide Metro. The installation is using live feed from Adelaide Metro. The installation has been tested using the Android app and working as expected.

How can I add this server in the experimental region? I am also aiming for a production deployment.

Any direction from here would be much appreciated.

Regards
Saroar

Alan Borning

Aug 3, 2022, 3:32:47 PM8/3/22
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Saroar - great!

So that we can add Adelaide as an experimental region, please send me an email with the information on the "Instructions" tab of this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11WpYOQn__NDjtvWgW0tjyqeLFoqxnZmmjklF9yP9ioU/edit#gid=1

You've probably already got this, but in case not, here is the procedure for moving to a production region: https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway/wiki/Multi-Region

   thanks,
    Alan

Sheldon A. Brown

Aug 4, 2022, 5:19:24 PM8/4/22
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
You are now listed as experimental in the regions directory! Congrats!

If you have any modifications/improvements that you'd like to give
back to the community please send me a PR!

Sheldon
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/onebusaway-developers/CA%2BSTWkjx%3Dh1q1KwSQe6YuUCz_-hPVbAeqpu2rPT0eD7w4785nA%40mail.gmail.com.

Md Saroar Jahan

Aug 5, 2022, 2:38:32 AM8/5/22
to onebusaway-developers
Thanks Sheldon for your quick action. I can now see the region in the app!

Among other changes, there is couple of changes required to consume the GTFS real-time feed which may be useful for others. Adelaide Metro is publishing the transit feed in GTFS Realtime v 2.0 specification. They are publishing the feed through REST API and responding as 'application/x-google-protobuf'. I have made the following changes to the OneBusAway codebase to make it working:

- Added configuration support to specify the gtfs_realtime_version (default as 2.0)
- Added configuration support to specify the accept mime type header for real-time polling

If you think these changes are helpful, I am happy to create a PR. I have a forked repo. This forked repo has brand specific changes (logo, etc). I think that I may need to create a branch in original repo, commit the change and create a PR. I probably need to create an issue as well. Please guide me for the PR process.

Regards
Saroar

Alan Borning

Dec 20, 2022, 12:12:17 AM12/20/22
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com, bo...@opentransitsoftwarefoundation.org, Md Saroar Jahan, Sheldon Brown
Hi all - I've been corresponding with Saroar in Adelaide, Australia about moving their OneBusAway instance to production status.  Saroar says it's in good shape, and trying it on my own phone it looks good as well.  So please give a shout if you have concerns, and otherwise we'll move this to production.

   thanks,
   Alan

Dec 20, 2022, 1:28:28 PM12/20/22
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com, bo...@opentransitsoftwarefoundation.org, Md Saroar Jahan, Sheldon Brown

That’s awesome. Fully support!

__________________________

Dr. Kari Edison Watkins, PhD, PE

Civil and Environmental Engineering

Adjunct Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology (kari.w...@ce.gatech.edu)

Associate Professor, University of California at Davis (kewa...@ucdavis.edu)

Cell (206) 250-4415

Aaron Brethorst

Dec 20, 2022, 1:35:50 PM12/20/22
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com, bo...@opentransitsoftwarefoundation.org, Md Saroar Jahan, Sheldon Brown

Alan Borning

Dec 21, 2022, 3:16:52 PM12/21/22
to Devin Braun, Aaron Brethorst, onebusaway...@googlegroups.com, bo...@opentransitsoftwarefoundation.org, Md Saroar Jahan, Sheldon Brown
Great - I'll work on getting Adelaide added as a production instance of OneBusAway.
   Alan

On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 1:12 PM Devin Braun <Devin...@sdmts.com> wrote:

Great to have a new instance of OBA!

Dec 21, 2022, 3:55:41 PM12/21/22
to Devin Braun, Aaron Brethorst, Md Saroar Jahan, Sheldon Brown, bo...@opentransitsoftwarefoundation.org, onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Adelaide should now be live as a production region!  On the apps, it will show up as production the next time the app refreshes the regions list.

Md Saroar Jahan

Dec 21, 2022, 5:17:50 PM12/21/22
to Alan Borning, Devin Braun, Aaron Brethorst, Sheldon Brown, bo...@opentransitsoftwarefoundation.org, onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alan and the team. We are proud to be a part of OneBusAway.

Regards
Saroar
--
Md. Saroar Jahan