Google Summer of Code 2024: -Create Cloud Deployment Stategy for Onebusaway

Alton He

May 31, 2024, 4:58:22 PMMay 31
to onebusaway-developers
Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you all, my name is Alton and my project is to create a deployment strategy for Onebusaway, I had a kick-off meeting with my mentor Aaron, who invited me into the OSTF GitHub organization, we will have regular 1on1 meetings twice a month.
This week, I did:
  • Studying the public fork of Terraform, due to IBM acquiring Hashicorp, Terraform changed its license into BUSL and may become nonfree software, Terraform is not worth the risk, its public fork, Opentofu, now is my primary choice.
  • Prepared cloud accounts like Azure, AWA, and GCP, I've created a k8s cluster in GCP by gcloud command, those accounts will be used for future deployment tests.
  • Prepared k8s local environment for future test and deployment.
Next week, I will:
  • Using Opentofu to create a demo, since this public fork has only been published for a few weeks and is only compatible with the old Terraform version, requires some testing before going into "bakeoff".
  • Looking into other IaC tools, like Pulumi.
  • Create a demo via Opentofu or Pulumi.
I haven't decided on a meeting time with my mentor, but we will work it out soon.

Best regards,
Alton

Aaron Brethorst

May 31, 2024, 5:00:52 PMMay 31
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Alton - That’s awesome, thanks for sharing!

----

Aaron Brethorst
Executive Director, Open Transit Software Foundation

Aaron Brethorst

May 31, 2024, 5:08:00 PMMay 31
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Also, I should add for the benefit of everyone here who hasn’t seen the incredible work that Alton has already done:

Alton has been working with me for the past couple months on our OBA Docker images. He’s been responsible for building out support for features like GTFS-RT support and Google Maps API key integration, and is the reason why we now have (at least) two regions successfully running OBA on Docker.

You can see the repository here: https://github.com/onebusaway/onebusaway-docker/

----

Aaron Brethorst
Executive Director, Open Transit Software Foundation

Alton He

Jun 7, 2024, 4:15:39 PMJun 7
to onebusaway-developers
Hi everyone,

This week I completed a demo of using OpenTofu to deploy OBA server on Azure VM:
Snipaste_2024-06-07_16-07-02.png

Snipaste_2024-06-07_16-08-44.png
Snipaste_2024-06-07_16-15-07.png

Snipaste_2024-06-07_16-11-38.png

Next week, I will optimize the deployment script, and try on different platforms.

Best regards,

Alton

Alton He

Jun 14, 2024, 6:01:45 PMJun 14
to onebusaway-developers
Hi everyone,

This week I added HTTPS support on the Azure VM and fixed the bug that causes `onebusaway-api-webapp` exit.
Related PR:
https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway-deployment/pull/1
https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway-docker/pull/87

Next week, I will add AWS EC2 support.

Best regards,

Alton

Alton He

Jun 22, 2024, 2:06:09 PM (13 days ago) Jun 22
to onebusaway-developers

Hi everyone,

This week I improved the code quality on the Azure deployment and did some tests about the AWS deployment.
Snipaste_2024-06-22_14-04-16.jpgSnipaste_2024-06-22_14-03-42.jpg
however, enterprise-acta apps do not work, I will look after it in the next week and complete the implementation.
Related PR:
https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway-deployment/pull/2
https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway-deployment/pull/4

Alton He

Jun 28, 2024, 6:41:48 PM (7 days ago) Jun 28
to onebusaway-developers
Hi everyone,

This week I got sore throat, so the progress is delayed, I competed AWS EC2 deployment.
Related PR:
https://github.com/OneBusAway/onebusaway-deployment/pull/5