Deployment and operation of open source trip planer for schedule and realtime data

Stefan

May 13, 2021, 10:48:46 AM5/13/21
to opentripp...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

How are you doing? I am new to open source software for public
transport. However, I would like to deploy and operate a production
system for trip planing with schedule and realtime data. I have studied
many projects but still feel lost for a detailed documentation on how to
deploy and operate an open source trip planer for schedule and realtime
data. I find pieces of the puzzle here and there. However, so far
nothing fits together to reach my goal. I am missing the whole picture.

That is why I would like to throw some general questions into the pool
in the hope for advice.

(1) Does anyone have advise how to start? (There are enough schedule and
realtime feeds out there and I also managed to instantiate
OpenTripPlaner. However, I have the feeling that the default web client
is not user friendly and convenient enough to present it to customers.)

(2) What platform shall I use (OneBusAway, OpenTripPlaner, Digitransit
or any other)? (I learned about several platforms but do not know the
pros and cons.)

(3) How shall I deploy (some platforms use Docker)? (Running a local
instance is not the same as an always available web service for customers.)

(4) What shall I deploy (some platforms have different versions like OTP
v1 and OTP v2)?

(5) How shall I operate and maintain (update schedule data periodically)?

I appreciate every advice.

Cheers!

--
Stefan Begerad
Software Engineer

Fon US: +1 443 518 8511
Fon DE: +49 174 85 11 770
Mail: dia...@begerad.de
Internet: www.begerad.de

Dede Realtime Map: www.dedriver.org

Sheldon A. Brown

May 14, 2021, 10:27:09 AM5/14/21
to onebusaway...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

Your question is a little bit general for this mailing list, but I'll
try to direct you as I can. A little bit more context may help
though. Do you represent a transit agency or are you creating an app
for your own purposes? What is your ultimate intention? Do you have
software development experience and are ready to do some development
or are you expecting turnkey/off-the-shelf?

1) Where to start?
Start by defining your requirements a bit more. If trip planning is a
requirement, OneBusAway does not meet that need. If you are looking
for real-time information, OpenTripPlanner is a bit weaker in regards
to that information.

2)
Depending upon your needs, you may end up using all of those. They
are complementary and not mutually exclusive.

3)
Others have been working on a docker configuration for OneBusAway for
some time, though I'm not aware of its status. As these platforms are
Java really anything goes....it's up to you and your hosting
preferences.

4)
OTP2.x officially deprecates OTP1.x, so if you are starting fresh then
prefer OTP2.x

5)
Both OpenTripPlanner and OneBusAway support dynamically reloading of
their data sources with the appropriate configuration. You'll need to
learn a lot more about each though to understand how that happens. So
you can update schedule data as often as hourly with both platforms,
potentially in an automated way.

Good luck!

Sheldon