Honoring John G. Powers - November 17, 2019 in Kitchener, Ontario

donald...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2019, 9:07:41 AM11/12/19
to Ontario Butterflies
Good morning all:

Off topic, but I know that many of you knew the late John G. Powers of Cambridge, the "Butterfly Man". Carolyn King wrote this kind note:

"Some of you will remember John Powers, Cambridge’s “Butterfly Man”, who made an incredible contribution to the knowledge and appreciation of insects.  Studying insects for over 50 years, and sharing his massive collection with the public through touring his “Incredible World of Bugs” and other displays around Ontario, he introduced people to the wonder and variety of entomology.  He was pleased to give a TEA field trip group a behind-the-scenes tour and private talk when we visited “Wings of Paradise” (now the Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory), which he founded and largely created.  He was an inspiring example of what a dedicated amateur citizen scientist can do.

He sadly passed on Nov 5 (of cancer at the age of 69).  He didn’t want a funeral, but there will be two visitations on Sunday, November 17, 2019 from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Henry Walser Funeral Home, 507 Frederick Street, Kitchener.

More details here, (along with photos of John, and an opportunity to either post more photos or write a tribute note): https://www.henrywalser.com/memorials/john-powers/4005993/service-details.php

Not seeing many butterflies here in Scottsdale, Arizona, so far. One small skipper. Hoping to see more at the Desert Botanical Garden when I attend the Monarch Joint Venture AGM, and later the Monarch Butterfly Fund AGM. Afternoon temperature here yesterday was at least 85 F.