Monarch Migration News

Ontario Butterflies

Sep 19, 2023, 10:04:20 AM9/19/23
to Ontario Butterflies
From Betty McCulloch, whose team continues the tagging program started by late Terry Whitham, who died September 15, 2020.. From Rosetta McClain Gardens: "We had a big movement of monarchs between 11:40 and 12:10.  Specs in the sky to fluttering by us.  Hmm a few thousand.  The most I have seen at Rosetta since 2013."

Karen Anderson took some great photos of a roost of about 800 - 1000 monarchs at Owen Point, Presqu'ile, Sept. 14 - 15/23. Photos posted here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/121814901322513

Has anyone else observed monarch roosts of considerable size or strong movements of monarchs? When and where? Please report to Journey North, iNaturalist, etc.

Over 2000 tagged so far in 2023. Recaptured a tagged monarch west of Port Hope. Released earlier at Nature Centre at Presqu'ile.

60 years ago this fall that Fred and Norah Urquhart, Ivy Lemon of Audubon Society, and my friend Audrey Wilson of Cobourg met at Presqu'ile to establish the Insect Migration Association.

Watch for a new monarch article, scheduled for January 2024 in Natonal Geographic.