Those Southerly Winds.....

donald...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2024, 5:37:29 PMApr 11
to Ontario Butterflies
Take a look at the Journey North "First Sightings" Monarch Migration map. I hope that those that have arrived in the northern most areas find that milkweed has emerged from the ground.

https://maps.journeynorth.org/map/?map=monarch-adult-first&year=2024

Carolyn King

Apr 11, 2024, 6:16:19 PMApr 11
to donald...@gmail.com, Ontario Butterflies
I don't think that any of those northern "First Sightings" are really Monarchs.
For many years I have suspected that the unusually early Monarch sightings were actually American Ladies.  I was pleased to see that some of the sightings here include photos.  Checking the three northernmost sightings that include images, I was surprised to see that they aren't Ladies but Red Admirals.  So I take citizen science reports with a grain of salt

There is a "northerly" Monarch on iNaturalist, seen on April 9 just north of Washington D.C.in southern Pennsylvania.  The others are still pretty far south.

Let's hope that the unusually warm days do coax the milkweed up early.
Cheers,
Carolyn King

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at 17:37, donald...@gmail.com <donald...@gmail.com> wrote:
Take a look at the Journey North "First Sightings" Monarch Migration map. I hope that those that have arrived in the northern most areas find that milkweed has emerged from the ground.

https://maps.journeynorth.org/map/?map=monarch-adult-first&year=2024

Donald Davis

Apr 12, 2024, 8:23:01 PMApr 12
to donald...@gmail.com, Carolyn King, Ontario Butterflies
Journey North generally checks and vets their sightings, in the past for Canada with support of late Darlene Burgess. Sounds like recent sightings had not been checked yet.

Don Davis

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

butterfly animation