Email blocking work-around

Keith Ray

Jun 15, 2017, 7:07:00 PM6/15/17
to ONA Surveys Forum
I have a client who has a very aggressive cyber-security system that blocks the survey invitation emails. I've determined that it is the embedded survey link that triggers the filtering algorithm. It gets filtered before it gets to their Exchange server (meaning it doesn't even go to "junk" folder). Through some testing, I determined that if I send only the email text after "If you have problem with the link..." with the login and token, the email will get through and the participants could get to the survey.

My question: Is there a way I could set up the survey and get the individual tokens so I could send the participants invitation emails without their system filtering it out?

Thanks - Keith

caik...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 7:10:57 PM6/15/17
to ONA Surveys Forum
Hi Keith,

Great troubleshooting!

Yes - you can get the individual survey links out of ONA Surveys. Just export all of the data, and you'll see that each respondent's survey URL is in the export file.

Cheers,
Cai
ONA Surveys.

Keith Ray

Jun 16, 2017, 12:06:15 PM6/16/17
to ONA Surveys Forum
Hi Cai,
I assume you mean the "Download Excel Full" button. I don't get the URLs in that file. Is there another download I should use?
Thanks,
- Keith

caik...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2017, 3:26:37 AM7/4/17
to ONA Surveys Forum
Keith,

Ups - I should have mentioned that you'll need the 'Consultant' subscription for that. Apologies.

However, you can still get to this - albeit more manually - by publishing the survey, and then clicking 'Monitor/Enter'. For every respondent you'll see a button and you can right-click on the button and save the link. This is the individual link for the respondent.

Cheers,
Cai

Keith Ray

Jul 5, 2017, 4:29:08 PM7/5/17
to onasu...@googlegroups.com

Cai,

Yes, I see that now. Thanks. I’ll consider this as a work-around however there will be about 200 participants so it would take some manual labor.

Thank you,

- Keith

Keith Ray

Jul 21, 2017, 1:14:34 PM7/21/17
to onasu...@googlegroups.com

Cai,

Would it be possible for me to send the email without the URL embedded? That might be what is causing the filtering on the Exchange server side. I tried to just delete the {URL} to see if that works but Onasurveys wouldn’t send the email.

Thanks,

- Keith

caik...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2017, 5:15:07 PM7/25/17
to ONA Surveys Forum
Hi Keith,

The inclusion of the mandatory {URL} is there to prevent people from sending out a survey to hundreds of people only to realise that the most important bit was left out. Believe me....that has happened.

Now - can you just clarify what you mean. Here is the default text:

"Dear {Name}

(Introduce survey to respondent)

To answer the survey please click on this link: {URL}

If you have problem with the link above please do the following:

1. Go to: {Host}
2. Enter your email address ({Email}) and copy/paste the following validation token: {Token}"

What is it that you're wanting to do?

Cheers,

Cai

Keith Ray

Jul 25, 2017, 5:40:37 PM7/25/17
to ONA Surveys Forum
Cai,
I understand why the URL is included but that is what is creating the problem. I'd like to be able to modify the email sent from ONASurveys to read:

"Dear {Name}
(Introduce survey to respondent)

To complete the survey, please do the following:

1. Go to: {Host}
2. Enter your email address ({Email}) and copy/paste the following validation token: {Token}"

I know this works since I tried it. Currently I can do this by going to the "Monitor/Enter" tab and right clicking on each recipient, pasting the link, and extracting the token. This is very time consuming ( have one survey for 100 people and another for 200) and error prone so if there is a way to modify the email sent from ONASurveys to remove the URL, it would solve my problem.

caik...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2017, 5:57:03 PM7/25/17
to onasu...@googlegroups.com
You can upgrade to the Consultant version for 1 month. Then the URLs are included in the export file.

Regards,
Cai

Mobile +61 411 569 694

(Sent from mobile device - apologies for any typos)