Fwd: iCloud / Omnis database feature idea

Andrew Stolarz

Jun 8, 2014, 2:32:31 PM6/8/14
to omnis-stu...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bryan,

Why would anyone want to use an Omnis database/datafile when other options are available, let alone using it in the cloud? ie. Postgres, MySQL, SQLite and even Amazon SimpleDB with much more control.

We dropped the Omnis datafile 10+ years ago and never looked back.

Andrew

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Bryan Brodie <b...@appimatic.com> wrote:
hi list,

In October 2014, Apple's new iCloud Drive will become available on iOS, MacOS and Windows.

Imagine the possibilities of an Omnis database file which is multi-user shared, via an iCloud drive...

Just think of the potential cost savings to large and small enterprise alike, as hosting and security are easily and safely pushed to Apple’s massive servers in the cloud.

Imagine if TL had a ‘real' Omnis Studio runtime client application for iOS which could access the shared ODB without excessive hoop-jumping through javascript, et al.

(After all, as a current Omnis developer, if I’m going to go to so much trouble to learn javascript* etc, I might as well just learn Swift…)

How much revenue would TL earn from runtime licensing of thousands of cloud-connected Omnis apps running on desktop and mobile platforms?

How much revenue could Omnis developers earn from the same paradigm? How many new developers would be attracted to the Omnis development platform?

Once upon a time, the Omnis team and Apple were close collaborators. Imagine if Omnis/TL were onstage at the Apple event launching the rollout of the new iCloud Drive service?

I’m well aware of potential reasons why this could never happen. I’m also well aware that FileMaker probably will support something like this.

Oh well… I can dream, can’t I?

Bryan Brodie
cloudxix.com / appimatic.com

(*P.S. - Actually, I already know javascript, it’s just a rhetorical observation)_____________________________________________________________