Building a few facebook-oriented features into an existing app

Florian Beijers

Jul 28, 2014, 10:27:36 AM7/28/14
to omni...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am trying to integrate Facebook into an existing application. I want to do two things:
- Add the ability to pull user data from facebook and fill it into a user registration form for an account on the website. I'm pretty sure I can do this with the omniAuth hash after having sent the right permissions using the omniauth-facebook middleware strategy.- Give users the ability to invite other facebook friends to Facebook Using a single dialog on the app itself, so no redirect to Facebook. For this, I realize one-time authentication is required. This is fine, but I want to store this auth somewhere so it is remembered on subsequent visits. Would an access_token column in the user model be smart in this case, or would you guys suggest writing it to a cookie on the user's local system? I realize omniauth wasn't meant for this specific use case, but I've never built something like this before and I'm not really sure where to start.

This is on Ruby 2.0 and Rails 3.2.1. Could anyone here give me a few pointers?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Florian