Simu5g - only with low number of UEs in realtime emulation - why?

Bence Balogh

Jan 27, 2024, 10:23:07 AMJan 27
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm working on a project to simulate a 5G communication with a high number of background UEs using Simu5G. According to the research paper from the Simu5G team, it is possible to achieve multiple BG cells with thousands of UEs in real-time emulation. However, the simsec/sec goes down fast and I am not able to run it as realtime for more than about 300 UEs without any bg cells. Does anyone know what I am missing here?

faisal Lone

Jan 28, 2024, 4:29:14 AMJan 28
to omn...@googlegroups.com
What are you simulating it on? Lack of computational resources may be the cause. It takes a lot of computational capacity to simulate so many number of UEs.

--
We are deprecating this forum. Please use https://forum.omnetpp.org instead.
---

Bence Balogh

Jan 28, 2024, 4:25:03 PMJan 28
to OMNeT++ Users
Thanks for your quick reply. The simulation is running on an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (6-core, but this is irrelevant for a real-time emulation) CPU, and as far as I know it uses the CPU for computing instead of the GPU. Although it is a decent CPU, it is not a top CPU, as the reference paper says, but an off-the-shelf PC should be able to handle these numbers.

Teja Guruvelli

Jul 18, 2024, 11:17:46 AM (4 days ago) Jul 18
to OMNeT++ Users
How were you able to configure Simu5G into your project? I'm also working on research configuring Simu5G on top of the F2MD framework for practical anomaly detection on vehicular networks. What default configuration settings are needed to simulate 5G cellular connectivity? Since in the industry, we are transitioning from DSRC IEEE 802 11 P to C-V2X to be compliant with 3GPP Release 16. Are there any changes to your current .NED or .INI files? I am running the same software of OMNET++ 5.6.2, INET 4.2.5 and SImu5G 1.1.0 which are all compatible according to SImu5G documentation on previous versions.

Giovanni Nardini

Jul 19, 2024, 3:50:24 AM (3 days ago) Jul 19
to OMNeT++ Users
This paper https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=9591605 includes the answer to your question.
It is perfectly normal that with a few UEs the simsec/sec goes down, due to the complexity of the UE model implementation. In the paper, we show how to use some simplified model for background UEs and background cells, in order to obtain a more realisitic emulation scenario including a few "foreground UEs" and many "background" UEs.