Ethernet link Data rate

fikayo afowowe

Jul 2, 2022, 7:56:50 AM7/2/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Team,
is it possible to create a custom Ethernet link data rate.
I plan on using a link less than or equal to 1Mbps between my devices, OpenFlow switches and controller.
I know its possible to vary PPP link data rate but PPP wont work for me since the Openflow framework works only with ethernet headers (only connections with ethernet link works)

Thanks.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jul 4, 2022, 7:04:38 AM7/4/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com
It is possible but you will need to modify the source code, for example, you will need to include the characteristics of the your ethernet in the descriptor

const EthernetMacBase::EtherDescr EthernetMacBase::etherDescrs[NUM_OF_ETHERDESCRS] = {

Jul 4, 2022, 12:38:09 PM7/4/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Thanks for the response Alfonso.
I was able to achieve this by editing the inet/linklayer/ethernet/common/Ethernet.h file.
I edited the speed on this line to what I wanted #define TWOANDHALFGIGABIT_ETHERNET_TXRATE
This would also serve the purpose perfectly right?

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jul 4, 2022, 12:41:01 PM7/4/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com
I think that it should be enough but test it, it is the fastest to check if it works.

Enviado: lunes, 4 de julio de 2022 18:38
Para: OMNeT++ Users <omn...@googlegroups.com>
Asunto: Re: [Omnetpp-l] Ethernet link Data rate

fikayo afowowe

Jul 4, 2022, 1:12:02 PM7/4/22
to OMNeT++ Users
Yes, I guess it works. I have varied over different data rates. The results improve as I increase the data rate.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jul 5, 2022, 4:14:49 AM7/5/22
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Also, bigger frames improve the throughput

Enviado: lunes, 4 de julio de 2022 19:12