Running examples developed under Linux on Windows OS

xue gao

Aug 30, 2021, 6:09:56 PM8/30/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello all,

I installed my Omnet++ on Windows OS. But it seems like lots of projects are built in Linux system.

I am wondering if I can run those projects on Windows OS?

Thank you in advance!

Rudolf Hornig

Aug 31, 2021, 7:44:57 AM8/31/21
to OMNeT++ Users
OMNeT++ is using MinGW on windows which is a Unix emulation layer. Anything you can build on Linux you can build also on Windows with OMNeT++ (the only thing is that if a project is using dynamic linking exported functions should be properly marked in the code but all of the omnest samples also properly compile on all platforms).

Rudolf Hornig

Aug 31, 2021, 7:46:10 AM8/31/21
to OMNeT++ Users
One more thing: running the Linux version of OMNeT++ on Windows in the Linux subsystem works just right also, so you can also decide to use that instead of the native Windows version.

xue gao

Aug 31, 2021, 8:50:42 AM8/31/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Thank you a lot.

The example project is based on INET2.0. My understanding is that INET (window version or Linux version)can build successfully on Windows. Is that right?