Implementing Scheduling using cPacketQueue.

Hezekiah Y. Samwini

Jun 3, 2024, 11:45:25 AMJun 3
to OMNeT++ Users
I am trying to implement a priority scheduler at the application layer (udp) in a controller node before sending requests (packets) to the worker nodes. I want to use cPacketQueue and implement a comparator to prioritize the packets in the Queue. My questions are:

- Is this a good approach/idea?
- If yes where can I find information on how the comparator class can be implemented and used (I am using omnet 6.0.3 with INET 3.8.6)
- If no what would you recommend?

Thanks

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Jun 3, 2024, 11:57:40 AMJun 3
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Usually, the packets are stored in the link layer queue. The queue in the application layer makes sense only if you limit the packet rate that the application module can inject the traffic to the transport layer.
If you limit the packet rate at the application, and the rate the application generates packets, the packets can be stored in the queue, and you can implement some type of priority.