OMNeT++ 6.0 Preview 11 - Install problem in Mac OS

Alberto Núñez

Jun 7, 2021, 9:08:15 AM6/7/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi!

I'm trying to install OMNeT++ 6.0 Preview 11 in a M1 MacBook Air with MacOs BigSur 11.3.1.

When I execute the ./configure script, I get the following error message:

configure: error: Some Python modules required by the IDE were not found: omnetpp numpy scipy pandas matplotlib posix_ipc

The python version I have installed is 3.9.5

Thanks!
Alberto

Attila Török

Jun 7, 2021, 9:29:08 AM6/7/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi!

Did you perform the `source setenv` step in the shell before running the configure script?

Attila

Rudolf Hornig

Jun 8, 2021, 5:56:28 AM6/8/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Also OMNeT6 does not  support M1 natively. You will get instructions how to turn on intel emulation when you execute 'source setenv' so you must do that first, and then 'source setenv' then finally ./configure

Alberto Núñez

Jun 8, 2021, 7:26:30 AM6/8/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi!

Thanks for the quick responses! ;)

I did perform "source .profile" -- where I have configured the env. variables --  and also tried to restart the computer. Unfortunately these solutions do not worked for me :(

Regards,
Alberto

Dragos Ilie

Jun 8, 2021, 11:04:52 AM6/8/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Try to cd to the folder where OMNeT++ is installed and do source setenv from there.

Also, some of the Python modules are not included in the Python distribution and need to be installed manually. This can be done either with pip or through packages offered by MacPorts or Homebrew. Also, the omnet++ executables are not digitally signed with a key recognized by Apple. BigSur will complain the first time OMNeT++ tries to start one of its executables or load dynamic libraries and kill the installation process. You will need to keep the General tab in System Preferences —> Security & Privacy visible so you can click Accept each time this happens to add an exception for the executable/shared library in question.

I got it working on Big Sur with Intel processor, but in the end I ended up running it in a Ubuntu VM under Parallels. The reason is that I need to get several others people working on the same project and Ubuntu installation presents less challenges…

Regards,
Dragos

Rudolf Hornig

Jun 9, 2021, 3:49:54 AM6/9/21
to OMNeT++ Users
For the security warnings, there is a more general solution. On the System Preferences —> Security & Privacy dialog find the Developer Tools item in the list and allow running unsigned executables from the Terminal. That will allow running any exacutable from teh terminal without the warning prompts.

Rudolf

Alberto Núñez

Jun 10, 2021, 6:16:18 AM6/10/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi!

I have tried a fresh install and now it works like a charm.

Thank you all for the help! ;)

@Dragos, I installed and updated different versions of python -- and other libraries like bison and qt -- using "brew". It is possible that now I have the right ones and omnet6 compiles perfectly. Indeed, I think Ubuntu presents less issues ;)

Bests.
Alberto