SimuLTE V2X capability

andok...@yahoo.com

May 2, 2018, 11:04:59 AM5/2/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello,

I wish to simulate LTE-V2X under the 3GPP release 14 specifications (http://www.3gpp.org/news-events/3gpp-news/1798-v2x_r14).
Currently, I am currently studying how SimuLTE works, and i understand that it already has D2D capabilities, but the way I understand it, it is different from the 3GPP release 14 specs for LTE-V2X, which has a different resource assignment process for V2X, different modes of transmission, etc.
May I kindly know if SimuLTE already has integrated LTE-V2X capabilities, and if not, are there any plans to include it in a later release?

Thank you very much!

Leandro

Antonio Virdis

May 3, 2018, 3:58:40 AM5/3/18
to OMNeT++ Users

Hi Leandro,

SimuLTE models the communication mode that in your link is referred to as configuration 2 (a.k.a. Mode 3). It offers both multicast and unicast D2D. Please note that the main focus of the model is on resource allocation rather than on physical aspects.

BR
Antonio

andok...@yahoo.com

May 4, 2018, 11:22:50 AM5/4/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Antonio,

Thank you very much for your reply, it is great to hear from one of the Simulte developers himself!
I am trying to study the SimuLTE code trying to see how resource allocation and scheduling is done, because as I understand, the scheduling assignment for LTE-V2X is different from ordinary D2D, because they now use contiguous frequency resources called subchannels (as described on the link in my previous message).

Could you kindly guide me a bit on which parts of the Simulte code I should focus on to understand better the resource allocation and resource grid? I'm looking inside the LTEMac modules of the LTENicBase but I am not sure if it is the right place.

Many thanks,
Leandro

Antonio Virdis

May 7, 2018, 10:59:29 AM5/7/18
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Dear Leandro,

you can have a look at the following two papers [1], [2], which discuss the modeling of D2D communication within SimulTE.

By looking at your document, the definition of subchannels ("Data transmissions associated with said scheduling assignments are occupying adjacent RBs in the same subframe") seems to match the one for RBs allocation for UL resources (i.e. allocation of adjacent RBs for the same UE), at least from a resource-allocation standpoint. Please also note that we do not explicitly implement control channels (e.g. PSCCH), but we model them through OMNeT messages.

BR
Antonio

[1] G. Nardini, A. Virdis, G. Stea, "Simulating Device-to-Device Communications in OMNeT++ with SimuLTE: Scenarios and Configurations", 3rd OMNeT++ Community Summit, BRNO, Czech Republic, September 15-16, 2016
[2] A. Virdis, G. Nardini, G. Stea, "Modeling unicast device-to-device communications with SimuLTE", IWSLS2 2016, Vienna, July 1st, 2016

Antonio Virdis

andok...@yahoo.com

May 22, 2018, 8:11:16 AM5/22/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Antonio,

Thank you for the information, and sorry for the quite late response.
I will take a look at your papers and will let you know again should I have further questions.

Best regards,
Leandro

andok...@yahoo.com

Jun 7, 2018, 5:49:18 AM6/7/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Antonio,

Good day, I have some follow-up questions.

I have gone through the papers, and if my understanding is correct, Resource Blocks are monitored, but the channels such as PSCCH are not explicitly modeled as you mentioned. However, let's say I want to create a visualization of the resource pool similar to the way MATLAB is able to produce an image of the sidelink resource pool (https://es.mathworks.com/help/lte/examples/lte-sidelink-resource-pools-and-pscch-period.html). Since SimuLTE does not explicitly model the channels, it may not be possible to place where the PSCCH is, but is it at least possible to create a visualization of which RBs are used and which RBs are "free" per TTI using SimuLTE?

Also, I am considering extending the SimuLTE functionality to include distributed scheduling (i.e. Mode 4 in V2X), meaning that I may have to develop a separate resource pool implementation for this. Could you give me any tips how to start off with this? Is it possible to implement, say, a second binder module for this purpose?

I await your kind response, thanks.

Best regards,
Leandro

andok...@yahoo.com

Sep 4, 2018, 5:41:38 AM9/4/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello Antonio/SimuLTE team,

Good day, I would like to follow up on some questions I posted some time ago regarding how to model the physical resource grid in SimuLTE.
Could you kindly give me some advice?
Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Leandro