Varying bit rate in WSN

stan...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2021, 4:54:03 AM12/14/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello,
I am trying to change the bit rate in omnetpp.ini file in INET sensornetwork as follows:

**.radio.transmitter.bitrate = 4800 bps

The result shows that for X-MAC, if I increase ( for example 38000 bps) or decrease ( as above) the bit rate from 19200 bps, the packet loss is increased even at optimum slot duration.

My question is:

-Are the results I am getting correct?

-If I increase/decrease the  bit rate, do I need to consider any other parameter other than slotduration to maintain lower packet loss?

Looking forward for your feedback.

Thank you.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 15, 2021, 11:09:10 AM12/15/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Have you considered the error rate?
The error rate is a function of the S/n and bit rate, with the same S/N if you increase the bit rate you will increase the error rate.

Dec 16, 2021, 5:52:48 AM12/16/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Many thanks for your feedback, Alfonso.

Is there any parameter for bit error rate? If yes, how to set it in omnrtpp.ini
file? If I want to keep BER constant for all bit rate, do I need to increase transmit power or S/N?

Thank you.

Rudolf Hornig

Dec 16, 2021, 6:46:05 AM12/16/21
to OMNeT++ Users
On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 11:52:48 AM UTC+1 stan...@gmail.com wrote:
Many thanks for your feedback, Alfonso.

Is there any parameter for bit error rate? If yes, how to set it in omnrtpp.ini
file? If I want to keep BER constant for all bit rate, do I need to increase transmit power or S/N?
In real life, whether the packet is received correctly or not depends on S/N ratio which depends on the distance between the nodes (among other things). There is no single BER possible in this model. If you are interested in routing behavior and don't care about the low level transmission details, I would take a look at using UnitDiskRadio (and UnitDiskRadioMedium). These are simplified physical models, where you can set the communication/interfennce/detection range directly in meters. Below communication range 100% is successful. Above that, everything fails.
This is an acceptable model, if you are interested in routing behavior.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 16, 2021, 6:46:46 AM12/16/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com

It is possible to change the error model

**.errorModel.typename = "MyErrorModel"

You only need to create an error model that could work as you want,

Enviado: jueves, 16 de diciembre de 2021 11:52
Para: OMNeT++ Users <omn...@googlegroups.com>
Asunto: Re: [Omnetpp-l] Varying bit rate in WSN

stan...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2021, 7:12:10 AM12/16/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Thank you Rudolf and Alfonso.

Regards.
Message has been deleted

stan...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2021, 1:56:36 AM12/29/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Sir, with the same S/N ratio and the same topology, if I increase the bit rate, I am now getting lower packet loss. Would you please explain what is the possible reason for that? Thank you.

Alfonso Ariza Quintana

Dec 31, 2021, 11:44:31 AM12/31/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
If the error bit rate is not affected by the S/N, bigger bit rate -> smaller channel occupancy -> smaller packet collisions probability

Enviado: miércoles, 29 de diciembre de 2021 7:55

Para: OMNeT++ Users <omn...@googlegroups.com>

Sir, with the same S/N ratio and the same topology, if I increase the bit rate, I am now getting lower packet loss. Would you please explain what is reason for that? Thank you.