Unable to run the Multi-Access Edge Computing (MEC) code available in the latest Simu5G repository on GitHub

Anik Roy

Aug 26, 2021, 12:05:37 AM8/26/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Dear colleagues,
Our objective is to run the Multi-Access Edge Computing (MEC) demo code provided by Simu5G. Link: https://github.com/Unipisa/Simu5G/tree/master/simulations/NR/mec
We are currently working on the Simu5G tarball release. This version includes OMNeT++ 5.6.2 and INET 4.2.2. The MEC code particularly of our interest did not run on this platform. We later realized a bug was reported recently and the Simu5G team has followed it up by upgrading their code on the Github repository. However, this new release requires OMNeT++ 6.0pre10 and INET 4.3.2. We were successfully able to install and run the OMNeT++ 6.0 pre12 available by following the tutorial link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVNBYJ6hFac We were successfully able to execute the example code of aloha on OMNeT++ 6.0 pre12. We then downloaded INET4.3.2 and imported it into our OMNeT++ workspace. We encountered the following errors as shown in the attached image.
What are we doing wrong?
How can we resolve these errors?
Any specific guidelines or steps to run the MEC code?

Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Regards.
inet4.3.2 errors.jpg

Giovanni Nardini

Aug 26, 2021, 3:51:13 AM8/26/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello,

as indicated by the readme file, the master branch of Simu5G on github requires OMNeT++ 6.0pre10 or OMNeT++ 6.0pre11, together with INET 4.3.2.
According to the OMNeT++ website, for pre12 ->  "Compatibility updates for INET will be released in the coming days.", so maybe that is why you are not able to compile INET.

Best regards.
Giovanni

Anik Roy

Aug 27, 2021, 1:31:02 AM8/27/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for your response. We have incorporated your suggestion.
Still, we are facing trouble while running the MEC code in Simu5g-master.
An overview of the steps involved and the software installations are as follows,
1. OMNeT++6.0pre 11
    Example simulation (aloha) is working
2. INET 4.3.2
    Build project worked without any errors
3. Latest SUMO
    Installed it from the terminal
4. Veins 5.1
    SUMO launchd is working
    Example simulation running successfully on OMNeT++ and SUMO gui
5. Extracted the Veins_Inet into the workspace
     (i) File -> Import -> Existing projects into workspace -> Search for nested projects -> Copy projects into workspace
     (ii) Veins_Inet -> Right-click -> Properties -> Project references -> Select INET4.3.2
     Error: Build project gives multiple errors as shown in the attached image
     The Veins official website suggests that Veins_Inet is not compatible with INET4.3.2
6. Downloaded the new Simu5g-master from Github
    (i) Simu5g-master folder-> Right-click ->  Properties -> Project references -> Select INET4.3.2 and Veins_Inet
    (ii) Simu5g-master folder-> Right-click -> Properties ->OMNeT++ project features -> Select Simu5g Cars
    Example simulation not running as Veins_Inet build project encountered errors

Please look into this and give the necessary suggestions that will help us run the MEC code in Simu5g-master successfully.
Veins_inet errors.png

Giovanni Nardini

Aug 27, 2021, 3:18:01 AM8/27/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello,

try to download Veins from its GitHub repo (https://github.com/sommer/veins) and import it again into OMNeT++.
Make sure you so this: Veins_Inet -> Right-click -> Properties -> Project references -> Select INET4.3.2

Best regards.
Giovanni

Anik Roy

Aug 28, 2021, 12:49:38 AM8/28/21
to omn...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thank you so much for your instant response. Following your suggestions, the simulation of the MEC code is working perfectly. Very grateful.

Gulabi Mandal

Sep 17, 2021, 1:18:05 AM9/17/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Greetings,
I have tried replicating the exact same steps mentioned in the previous email threads. I am encountering the following errors as shown in the image attached.
I have noticed that several others have reported that they too are facing the same issue.

According to your suggestion at githubmemory, I have tried making a complete clean of INET and Simu5G projects before recompiling i.e. in the IDE, right-click on Simu5G project -> Clean project. Still, it has not resolved the issue and encountering the same errors.

Please suggest how to resolve these errors. What steps should I follow?

Best regards,

Thanking you,

Gulabi Mandal

Errors in Simu5G.jpg

Gulabi Mandal

Oct 2, 2021, 11:14:23 PM10/2/21
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello,
We followed up with the comment mentioned on link, and edited the line PREFER_CLANG = no in the "configure.user" file present in the omnetpp-6.0 pre11 directory.
For the INET 4.3.2, we "import project" into the workspace, and did "build project". A message "features.h file is missing" popped up when we initiated the build project. Although the build project runs without any errors, this step causes a ripple effect in generating a series of errors in Veins_Inet, and Simu5G "build project" execution.
We found that both the .zip file and .tgz file of INET 4.3.2 do not contain the "features.h" file (images are attached for ready reference). This could be the reason for our errors faced in consecutive steps.
As per our request, Anik Roy has shared the INET 4.3.2 zip file containing the "features.h" file (Image is attached). In the follow-up, the OMNeT++ example simulation, and the Simu5G is running successfully.
ZipFile_with_Features_h_Present.png
ZipFile_Features_h_missing.png
tgzfile_Features_h_missing.png