QXcbConnection Error with Omnet 5.1.1 on Ubuntu server 16.04

anas muslim

Oct 2, 2018, 8:40:45 AM10/2/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hello,

I am trying to run Omnet 5.1.1 on Ubuntu server 16.04 via Windows 10 Remote Desktop Connection and it is giving me following error. Google is also not much helpful. I have tried to find the solution but couldnt.

Error:

QXcbConnection: Failed to initialize XRandr
Qt: XKEYBOARD extension not present on X server
QOpenGLShaderProgram: could not create shader program
QOpenGLShader: could not create shader
bool QOpenGLTextureBlitter::create() Could not link shader program:
 ""
QXcbConnection: Xcb error: 157 (Unknown), sequence: 330, resource id:1, major code: 148, minor code: 1
QXcbConnection: Xcb error: 157 (Unknown), sequence: 346, resource id:1, major code: 148, minor code: 1
QXcbConnection: Xcb error: 157 (Unknown), sequence: 364, resource id:1, major code: 148, minor code: 1
QXcbConnection: Xcb error: 157 (Unknown), sequence: 448, resource id:1, major code: 148, minor code: 1
QXcbConnection: Xcb error: 157 (Unknown), sequence: 486, resource id:1, major code: 148, minor code: 1
QXcbConnection: Xcb error: 157 (Unknown), sequence: 502, resource id:1, major code: 148, minor code: 1
QXcbConnection: Xcb error: 157 (Unknown), sequence: 521, resource id:1, major code: 148, minor code: 1
QXcbConnection: Xcb error: 157 (Unknown), sequence: 539, resource id:1, major code: 148, minor code: 1
QXcbConnection: Xcb error: 157 (Unknown), sequence: 555, resource id:1, major code: 148, minor code: 1

End.

Now, I know that ubuntu server has much less packages, which are installed with it, than ubuntu desktop. But I am unable to figure out which packages are needed to resolve this error.

It would be highly appreciated if anyone has any solution to my problem.

Attila Török

Oct 3, 2018, 5:01:29 AM10/3/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Is a graphical interface (X11 server) running on that machine?
Is your environment ($DISPLAY) configured in a way that the programs can use it?
In other words: Do any other graphical Qt5 programs work?

Attila

anas muslim

Oct 4, 2018, 4:11:37 AM10/4/18
to OMNeT++ Users
Hi Attila,

Thanks for the reply and guidance.

I have checked if X11 server is running or not. It, in fact, is running. X11Forwarding is enabled i.e. "Yes" and environment is configured so that programs can use it.
From your questions, it came to my mind to test if Putty works Xming and it does. Simulations run perfectly with Putty and Xming, but Remote Desktop Connection gives the same error. I think it is due to the fact that RDC (Windows 10) is not configured with X11Forwarding. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you suggest any method with which Windows 10 RDC can be configured in the same way to run graphical Qt5 programs?

Your help is much appreciated.

Attila Török

Oct 4, 2018, 5:58:57 AM10/4/18
to OMNeT++ Users
The fact that it works with Putty and Xming tells me that the problem is not really within OMNeT++ itself, but with the (other) setup you have for the remote desktop connection.
More specifically, the way in which Qt and the OpenGL support of RDP interact/collide, since other software also had the same issue:

https://forum.qt.io/topic/81112/qt-won-t-start-via-remote-desktop
https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/207987538-RStudio-simply-will-not-work-through-a-remote-connection

Honestly, I'm not at all familiar with Windows-related stuff, like RDP, so I can't really help you with that, but a quick internet search yielded some articles that can be a helpful starting point. The most promising seems to be: http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=8952

Attila