Big News! New Community Management with Dr. Daniel Fuller

David Haddad

Nov 12, 2020, 10:55:58 PM11/12/20
to omh-developers
Hi Open mHealth-ers,

It's been a minute. How are you? We're alive and doing well. So good we have some updates to share:

1 - We're in the final stages of voting on our IEEE Working Group P1752
2 - We're finding a new home for the organization -- more details to come
3 - We're excited to have Dr. Daniel Fuller help lead our humble community

Daniel is a physical activity researcher and Canada Research Chair in Population Physical Activity. Find on him on Twitter @walkabilly. His lab published the largest ever systematic review of the reliability and validity of commercial wearable devices and have also published open source R packages for analyzing accelerometer data.

Dan and his lab are pros with patient-generated health data. So much so that they will be in this Google Group answering questions, on Github working to respond to your questions about the schemas, Shimmer and Granola.

Dan's team will be listening and adding to the conversation about what should be prioritized in terms of updating and developing new features.

Please reply back if you're interested in joining a smaller Slack developer group to keep this project going.

Let's give a big welcome to Dan 👋

If you have any questions in the meantime feel free to add them here.

Thanks everyone and let's keep making Open mHealth THE way to make sense of mHealth data.

David

fuller.daniel

Nov 13, 2020, 11:00:24 AM11/13/20
to omh-developers
Dear Open mHealth development community,

I know it has been a quite a while since there is been any active development on the Open mHealth tools. As you saw from the email from David, I'm hoping we can work together to reactive this work. I think there is a lot of potential and hope we can create a community that will make Open mHealth great.

My interest in Open mHealth is to facilitate the collection and use of commercial wearable data. My lab and I have developed various versions of apps to collection commercial wearable device and we hope that contributing to Open mHealth can make these apps more sustainable and make the data more accessible for everyone.

As you all know if we want this to succeed we need a community effort. Here is what I'm suggesting as a path forward.

1. Recruit a small but mighty group of developers who will volunteer with me to address the outstanding pull requests on Shimmer, Granola, or other repos.

2. Have a larger conversation with the community about what should be prioritized in terms of updating and new development. For example, the ios-connector-app is now 6 years old and running Swift version ?!. Should we consider re-writing this in the latest version?

3. Schedule regular community check-in's to discuss and move the work forward.

4. I'll also be making some Open mHealth health swag including stickers and other stuff to send to people are contributing regularly.

My ask:

Email to get in touch and if you are interested in 1 or 2. I have created a Slack channel for regular communication between the smaller development group.

Thanks everyone,

Looking forward to working with you all.
Daniel Fuller

Garber, Lawrence

Nov 13, 2020, 11:21:45 AM11/13/20
to omh-dev...@googlegroups.com

I’d be interested/willing to participate in broader discussions on priorities. I just went live integrating withings, iHealth and Google Fit into the Epic Electronic Health Record using a FHIR Client and a modified version of GTRI’s FHIR Server and Shimmer. My scars are still healing…

Larry16

Larry Garber, M.D.

Medical Director for Informatics

Associate Medical Director of Research

Reliant Medical Group

5 Neponset Street

Worcester, MA 01606

Lawrenc...@ReliantMedicalGroup.org

Nov 18, 2020, 7:21:23 PM11/18/20
to omh-dev...@googlegroups.com
Nice, Larry. Did you use Open mHealth?

Garber, Lawrence

Nov 18, 2020, 7:44:20 PM11/18/20
to omh-dev...@googlegroups.com

Of course!  😊  Basically it’s this:

Larry16

David Haddad

Nov 19, 2020, 7:07:27 PM11/19/20
to omh-dev...@googlegroups.com
Rock on!

Maybe we cna put together a case study and share with the community? Feel free to email me at da...@openmhealth.org

Daniel Fuller

Nov 26, 2020, 3:02:16 PM11/26/20
to omh-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larry,

Sorry for the late reply. I've invited you to a Slack channel for further discussion. Are the Shims you updated and deployed public? Because I'm just starting I'm guessing you had to do some updating of the current shims to get them to run. Anyway, let me know. Happy to connect and thanks for the reply.

Daniel

Garber, Lawrence

Nov 26, 2020, 4:50:32 PM11/26/20
to omh-dev...@googlegroups.com

The major update was to the Withings shim which now uses OAuth2.0 (instead of 1.0).  I just modeled it after the iHealth shim.  I’m only using those two and Google Fit.

I haven’t done any uploads back to Github mostly because I’ve just been too busy.

Larry16

Garber, Lawrence

Jan 9, 2021, 10:09:59 PM1/9/21
to omh-dev...@googlegroups.com

One more update. The iHealth shim is unable to refresh the access token.  That’s because iHealth expects a parameter “response_type” instead of “grant_type” to equal “refresh_token”.  I fixed that too…  It may have gone unnoticed because the iHealth access token is good for 6 weeks.

Larry16