Omeka S and PDF

Megan Blair

Jul 18, 2017, 2:34:21 PM7/18/17
to Omeka Dev
Hello all,

We are building our new digital collections in Omeka S.  Right now if I have a PDF loaded into our Omeka S sandbox, you have to click three times to finally get to the actual PDF.  I looked at the Universal Viewer plug-in but that needs the IIIF server.  Is there another module/plugin that is already available or currently in the work to make PDFs viewable on the item page like you could do with Omeka classic?

Thanks!
Megan

Daniel Berthereau

Jul 19, 2017, 1:41:42 AM7/19/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

There is no module to display pdf currently : the plugin "Pdf Embed" is not yet upgraded. This is not a complex plugin, so it can be upgraded quickly, or ask somebody to do so.

About Universal Viewer, I prefered to divide the plugin in two modules, so the iiif server can be used with any display widget (mirador, etc.) and the Universal Viewer can be used with any source of iiif manifests (managed outside of Omeka). And this is a full iiif server, for images (the tiler from the plugin OpenLayers Zoom is integrated) and for non-images (ixif).

Anyway, iiif server is a "fire and forget" module: you just have to install the module, then forget it.

To check existing modules, you can look at https://daniel-km.github.io/UpgradeToOmekaS/omeka_s_modules.html.
Sincerely,

Daniel Berthereau

John Flatness

Jul 19, 2017, 8:22:23 PM7/19/17
to Omeka Dev
I've released a very simple Omeka S version of my PDF Embed plugin, you can download it here: https://github.com/zerocrates/PdfEmbedS/releases

Right now it doesn't have all the same features of the Classic version, partially because I'm not sure they're really relevant to include anymore (like the legacy embed code).

Please note that one of the 3 clicks you mention is controlled on the public side by a site setting (for whether media should be embedded directly in an item page at all).