Importing skos vocabulary into omeka-s

vja...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2017, 10:19:36 AM1/17/17
to Omeka Dev
I'm trying to import the skos vocabulary into omeka-s using values from here https://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/vocabs/skos. When I upload it, omeka-s shows me only 18 properties, when there should be 28. For example, skos:prefLabel is missing, but its top level superproperty skos:semanticRelation is there. Is this because omeka-s does not support hierarchies? Is there any way to preserve all properties, even if the hierarchy information is lost?
Thanks
Jayant

John Flatness

Jan 17, 2017, 3:30:56 PM1/17/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
So here's what's happening:

Omeka's vocabulary importer is currently set up to only look for certain
types when looking for properties. In particular, that list excludes
owl:AnnotationProperty and owl:OntologyProperty, on the basis that those
are intended for "internal" use in describing the vocabulary itself.

The standard 4 vocabularies Omeka ships use AnnotationProperty very
sparingly, mostly only using it as the type for imported properties from
other vocabularies (which Omeka ignores anyway). FOAF includes only one
"real" AnnotationProperty, foaf:MembershipClass, and includes some
comments showing some uncertainty about whether that type declaration is
appropriate.

In your case with SKOS, there are quite a few AnnotationProperty
properties, including prefLabel. AnnotationProperty seems to be used for
a handful of different purposes, so it's tough for us to decide whether
or not to treat them as "real" properties for any given vocabulary schema.

Feel free to give any questions or comments on the situation; we're
always open for feedback and suggestions.

-John