BIDS Docathon (NYC Branch)

hannah aizenman

Feb 20, 2017, 12:18:24 AM2/20/17
to Omeka Dev
Hello,

The Berkeley institute of data science is running a docathon, which is kind of like a hackathon, but focused on developing material and tools for documentation. The Digital Fellows at The Graduate Center, CUNY, are hosting an NYC branch, with a kickoff event March 6th, from 5:00-10:00PM. More information can be found here: https://bids.github.io/docathon/

Would the Omeka project like to join the docathon here in NYC? DHBox, Matplotlib, and Pandas are currently on board.

Thanks,
Hannah

Patrick Murray-John

Feb 20, 2017, 7:57:08 AM2/20/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Hannah,

We always want to get more and better documentation out there. Could you tell more about what would be involved? Especially, what the options might be for participating remotely, as I doubt that there will be funding for a trip to NYC (though I'll look into it).

Thanks much. I do hope we can get Omeka involved in one way or another.

Patrick Murray-John
Omeka Director of Developer Outreach

hannah aizenman

Feb 20, 2017, 8:21:35 PM2/20/17
to Omeka Dev
Hi,
The tentative plan is open with a discussion of good documentation practices by project devs and maintainers (or people who do it professionally), and then breakout into project specific groups. In groups, there would be further explainations/discussions of standards and documentation methods specific to that project (so something like what is sphinx and numpydoc for the scientific Python projects) and helping new contributors get a working development environment on their machines.

You can totally participate via remotely, and I think that mainly takes the shape of having some clearly identified and well defined documentation tasks, having devs who are willing to review documentation pull requests, and being available via gitter/slack/etc to help troubleshoot getting a development environment up and running(https://bids.github.io/docathon/pages/participate.html). The plan would be to advertise to the NYCDH omeka users group (amongst other broader audiences) and see if anyone their would be interested in contributing.

Patrick Murray-John

Feb 22, 2017, 8:39:46 AM2/22/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me! I'll sign us up, and prepare some guides for docathoners. The biggest request that we've heard is more examples of using the various functions. We have space for that in our existing documentation, but there are a lot of complete gaps, and more examples would always be helpful. I suspect that there are people in that community who have customized themes in small ways, and asking them to share particular examples of what they have done would help a lot of people.

Thanks very much!
Patrick

Daniel Berthereau

Feb 22, 2017, 9:05:31 AM2/22/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Do you talk about Omeka or Omeka S?

Sincerely,

Daniel Berthereau
Infodoc & Knowledge management

Patrick Murray-John

Feb 22, 2017, 9:13:00 AM2/22/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Thinking of Omeka Classic. The final location and structure of Omeka S documentation is still a bit uncertain.

hannah aizenman

Feb 23, 2017, 4:43:40 PM2/23/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for participating!

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/omeka-dev.

Patrick Murray-John

Feb 28, 2017, 10:33:49 AM2/28/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Hannah,

My pleasure! A couple questions -- where/how should I communicate details about how best to contribute? There's basics in the Documentation README, but I'd like to offer more focus than what's there in general that gets specific to this event.

Also, during the event, is there a best Slack channel (or other) that I should go to to respond to questions?

Thanks!
Patrick

hannah aizenman

Feb 28, 2017, 11:23:49 AM2/28/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking a gitter channel for the omeka repo might be most logical, especially if you link to it from the readme (also really anything you like so long as it's linked to in the readme). I also suggest communicating details via the github repo; a lot of projects are creating new issues or labeling existing issues documentation to focus the tasks. Here's some advice from BIDS: https://bids.github.io/docathon/encouraging-user-docathon.html

Patrick Murray-John

Mar 1, 2017, 12:22:03 PM3/1/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I'm a bit hesitant to create a new communication channel, though. I fear that it could create expectations of responding to it that we really won't be able to maintain alongside the other avenues that we keep track of as best we can (forums, devlist, IRC).

So, since our Omeka Classic documentation exists in a distinct GitHub repo, I've created a "Docathon" label https://github.com/omeka/Documentation/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ADocathon and a couple issues targeted to the two priorities I see for documentation. It might get messy, but I'm hoping that that'll be the easiest, most direct route to talking with us about contributions.

I'm building up additional guidance on our documentation site, adhering as best I can to the BIDS link. Thanks!

Patrick

Patrick Murray-John

Mar 1, 2017, 12:50:56 PM3/1/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
On the Docathon slack ( https://docathon.slack.com ), I raised the question of whether distinct channels for either/both sites and projects makes sense. There's already a UCBerkley channel there, and the idea had some good reception. Might be another option for focusing conversation?

Patrick

hannah aizenman

Mar 1, 2017, 1:35:34 PM3/1/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Created it! #cunygc

The BIDS recommendations are guidelines created with scientific Python projects in mind so deviate away when it makes sense for omeka.

Patrick Murray-John

Mar 3, 2017, 9:21:03 AM3/3/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! Do you think it'd be good to use that as a place for questions about Omeka documentation?

hannah aizenman

Mar 3, 2017, 12:05:45 PM3/3/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
I think it'd work just fine. Can also start their and of it becomes to chatters, we can create an omeka specific channel.

Patrick Murray-John

Mar 6, 2017, 2:10:07 PM3/6/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
Hannah,

Good luck with the kickoff tonight! I'll be online as much as I can, particularly in the docathon slack for cunygc.

I've also added some pages that I hope will be helpful in our readthedocs page: http://omeka.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Helping/index.html, and there are two issues labeled Docathon in the the documentation's repo.

Thanks again!
Patrick