Omeka for Virtual Herbarium?

Luis Francisco

Jun 23, 2017, 11:01:41 AM6/23/17
to Omeka Dev
Omeka for Virtual Herbarium?
Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to use Omeka, to create a virtual herbarium, with taxonomic information of the species, my database has information about the geography of the collection site, taxonomy information, scientific name, species photos , The database structure is in the Darwin Core

thanks for listening

Doug Palmer

Jun 23, 2017, 6:30:49 PM6/23/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com

Hi Luis,

Without wanting to take anything away from the awesomeness of omeka, and depending on how big your virtual herbarium is, you might want to take a look at The Atlas of Living Australia (which, despite its name, is also the Atlas of Living Scotland, Atlas of Living France, Atlas of Living Brazil etc.)

https://github.com/AtlasOfLivingAustralia

https://github.com/AtlasOfLivingAustralia/ala-install provides playbooks for setting up a demo version up in a virtual machine that you can play with.

It's a lot more heavyweight than omeka and will require quite a lot of effort to get it into the shape you want*.   However, it's very powerful and scalable, is designed to work with taxonomies and uses Darwin Core as a native structure.

I happen to be the ALA name-wrangler so feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Doug Palmer

* For example, you'll need to feed it your taxonomy in Darwin Core Archive form before it can start classifying your records.

Patrick Murray-John

Jun 25, 2017, 11:05:58 AM6/25/17
to omek...@googlegroups.com
One big consideration will be the depth of the Darwin Core format. Sadly, it looks like they're in some expected downtime so I can't get to a schema to check.

Following Sharon's thoughts on the forums, if there's an RDF vocabulary for it, it can be easily imported into Omeka S to get you started.

However, both Omeka Classic and Omeka S do not handle parent-child relationships for properties. So, if your data depends on nested properties, that might nudge you to the more heavyweight solution Doug points out.

On the other hand, if Darwin Core does not have an RDF representation (again, hopefully the sites will be back up soon so I can check that), then you'd want to either 1) create a plugin that adds the elements to Omeka Classic or 2) create that RDF representation to pull it in to Omeka S. So, that would be the first work to do either way, keeping in mind that parent-child properties won't be available in either.

Hope that helps your evaluation
Patrick

Luis Francisco

Jun 27, 2017, 5:23:46 PM6/27/17
to Omeka Dev
Hello Sharon and Patrik , thank you for your attention.
This Virtual Herbarium, is a project of term of course, I am finishing the Bachelor of Biology, as it is widely reported Brazil is in a financial crisis, this directly affects the investment that my University makes available for projects. As a result, the project web server for Herbarium is being paid for by me and the package I have contracted does not support the Omeka-S requirements. I know I'm in the opposite way, any normal human would first define the system and after the choice would look for the server that meets the requirements of the system, but for not being an expert in the area I made that mistake .... now I have to adapt to that :(

Thank you for your attention