Crystal growing

Patrick Pecoraro

Oct 10, 2017, 7:47:20 AM10/10/17
to Omaha Maker Group
Does any one know if its possible to grow a certain color crystal of a certain shape. Or amI just going to have to find one of the color I'm looking for and shape it myself?

Jared Wirth

Oct 10, 2017, 8:30:26 AM10/10/17
to OMG Mailing List
You could cast something in the color and shape you desire using poured acrylic.   Does it need to be authentic crystal?

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

andrew....@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2017, 8:56:03 AM10/10/17
to Omaha Maker Group
Certain color should be fairly easy, simply find the compound which crystallizes in the color you're seeking -- copper sulfate for blue, chromium alum for purple, etc. However, given the nature of crystal growth/formation, I think it would be quite difficult to compel growth of a particular shape (ala bonsai or tree shaping), and the few stoneworkers I have encountered have all used reductive processes.

Chamelaeon Wombatowski

Oct 10, 2017, 9:22:35 AM10/10/17
to Omaha Maker Group
The crystal shape's going to depend on the actual molecule, yeah, which is why bismuth crystals are bonkers. I went down a wiki rabbit hole on this just now which got me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_habit - might help!

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

David Knaack

Oct 10, 2017, 2:21:33 PM10/10/17
to OMG
Some compounds will incorporate dyes as the crystals form, alum and borax for example. Possibly you can find a compound in the shape you want that will take color.

(You can also layer colors and clears with these compounds for interesting effects)

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 6:47 AM, Patrick Pecoraro <patrick...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does any one know if its possible to grow a certain color crystal of a certain shape. Or amI just going to have to find one of the color I'm looking for and shape it myself?

--
Support Omaha Maker Group with purchases you make anyway. Shop Amazon using our Affiliates link, and OMG receives a portion of the proceeds. http://amzn.to/1f3i3ve

Leave lurking behind — come visit the Omaha Maker Group's studio at 8410 K Street, #5, Omaha, NE (just off 84th & L). We’re nice, we promise. http://bit.ly/1dKnTmC

www.omahamakergroup.org
---

Patrick Pecoraro

Oct 10, 2017, 7:56:23 PM10/10/17
to Omaha Maker Group
I would like to make one of these out of a real crystal and bronze. On a Qi charging base that glows a power field like in the game.

Patrick Pecoraro

Oct 10, 2017, 8:09:21 PM10/10/17
to Omaha Maker Group