Hello All!

Dustin Wright

Jan 20, 2016, 5:36:43 AM1/20/16
to Omaha Java Users Group
So happy to have found a local Java users group!  Very much looking forward to the February meeting.

Matt Payne

Jan 20, 2016, 12:44:27 PM1/20/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dustin!  Welcome!

Michael (BCC:ed) is planning on talking about http://www.dropwizard.io in February's meeting.    I think he'll be sending in the description of his talk for posting on OJUG.org and meetup soon.

Perhaps this Hello All thread is a good place to ask people to chime in on what they would like in the DropWizard talk and other talks during 2016?

What would you like to hear & how?   Just talks?  More lighting talks?  Less?   Workshops?   More mailing list chatter?  Less?

Thanks! --Matt Payne

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 4:36 AM Dustin Wright <nzer...@gmail.com> wrote:
So happy to have found a local Java users group!  Very much looking forward to the February meeting.

Dustin Wright

Feb 9, 2016, 4:46:58 AM2/9/16
to Omaha Java Users Group
Thanks Matt.  I'm not going to be able to make the February meeting, I work in the evenings, so any one of these I attend will cost me a day of vacation.  I do want to attended as many as I can, but it can't be every one.  Too bad they are not on a Friday.  I'm very interested in beginner/fundamental topics.  I'm in Information Security with Solutionary now endeavoring to change careers to Java developer (with Solutionary, if I get my way).  It's a long row to hoe for sure.

Should this group not be for beginners, I can certainly understand and respect that.  If that is the case, please let me know now.  No hard feelings.

Thanks again everyone.

Matt Payne

Feb 9, 2016, 7:57:45 AM2/9/16
to Omaha Java Users Group
Dustin -- Solutionary is a great place!

http://www.baeldung.com/java-tutorial has some fun things that are very much worth a read.

--Matt Payne

Juan Vazquez

Feb 9, 2016, 9:31:01 AM2/9/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Dustin!

Our goal is to make this group approachable for all experience levels. Everyone is a beginner for at least one topic we have. I find myself learning something new each meeting :).

My thoughts for the Drop wizard talk would be anything on how to approach logging and monitoring at scale.

Thanks,
Juan

--
-Juan

Jeremy Schacherer

Feb 9, 2016, 12:11:17 PM2/9/16
to nzer...@gmail.com, omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Matt, it sounds like Dustin might be too green for the baeldung site right now. It doesn't cover the fundamentals of Java, ex. how to write a java class, how to run, IDE, etc. I would recommend completing these tutorials... Oracle java command line tutorial(Linux or Windows) followed by the IntelliJ java ee tutorial as a beginning point. These won't take you long to complete and will give you something to grow from. Beyond this, oracle has a page with lots more to offer to learn the basics. Good luck! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Jeremy Schacherer
Senior Consultant
Object Partners Inc.
m..712.326.9474
e..jeremy.s...@objectpartners.com

Matt Secoske

Feb 9, 2016, 12:17:57 PM2/9/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com, nzer...@gmail.com
Jeremy - I'm having a hard time squaring "too green for baeldung" and then recommending a Jave EE tutorial.  A quick scan of the Baeldung link that Matt provided looks to me like a decent introduction into Java, FWIW.

Dustin -

Whichever way you go Dustin, there is lots to learn. Have fun!

Also, http://www.javaranch.com/ is still around and looks like it is still active (though wow they haven't changed their design in 10 years!)

Cheers,
- Matt S

Jeremy Schacherer

Feb 9, 2016, 12:37:36 PM2/9/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com, nzer...@gmail.com
Guess it was implied, but I should have stated. "In my opinion" and "as an alternative too"

Matt, I ask you to investigate the content of the links in question. Maybe you will find some validity to my message. If not, no worries, chive on! :)

Jeremy Schacherer
Senior Consultant
Object Partners Inc.
m..712.326.9474
e..jeremy.s...@objectpartners.com

Matt Payne

Feb 9, 2016, 1:26:41 PM2/9/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com, nzer...@gmail.com
Jeremy & Matt -- This is a GREAT spike in posting on the OJUG email list.  I'm VERY excited!!!

Jeremy -- Thanks for https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/help/developing-a-java-ee-application.html and the other links.  IMHO there is great value in sharing sites and talking about them too.

One of the things Denverjug.org did for a while was a basic concept talk, social break, headline talk.   It would be GREAT to have that happen at some OJUG meeting.   Volunteers are always welcome and encouraged.   A basic concept talk could be a short talk....

To try and keep the conversation on this email thread going....

Jeremy & Matt -- What type of basic concepts do you think are good for people to practice?   What are the up and coming things to learn?

IMHO these things (which are ordered only alphabetically) have great value:
grails
groovy
play framework
scala
spring boot
testing!!!

What is on your list?  What type of basic concepts do you think are good for people to practice?   What are the up and coming things to learn?

Thanks! --Matt Payne

Jessica Codr

Feb 9, 2016, 2:42:40 PM2/9/16
to Omaha Java Users Group, nzer...@gmail.com
If you're looking for very basic introductory Java material/tutorials, you can try out codecademy:  https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-java or Java Koans:  https://github.com/matyb/java-koans.

In terms of basic things to practice, testing is at the top of my non-alphabetical priority-based list.  Testing is important to all developers from complete novices to seasoned experts, and it is a skill that is very difficult to perfect.

Joselito D Moreno

Feb 9, 2016, 2:56:40 PM2/9/16
to Omaha Java Users Group, nzer...@gmail.com
Disadvantage to a mailing list, there's no "Like" button :).

Anyway, +1 on what Jessica said regarding testing.

Herb Wolfe

Feb 12, 2016, 7:35:08 AM2/12/16
On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Matt Payne <Pa...@mattpayne.org> wrote:
> To try and keep the conversation on this email thread going....
>
> Jeremy & Matt -- What type of basic concepts do you think are good for
> people to practice? What are the up and coming things to learn?
>
> IMHO these things (which are ordered only alphabetically) have great value:
> grails
> groovy
> play framework
> scala
> spring boot
> testing!!!
>
> What is on your list? What type of basic concepts do you think are good for
> people to practice? What are the up and coming things to learn?
>
> Thanks! --Matt Payne

On a related note, I've been wondering what skills and experience do
employers want, in particular for entry and junior level positions? Or
do employers even look for entry level Java programmers? Are there
(standalone) application development positions, or are most of them
full stack development?

Is Java certification useful? Are there particular tools, IDEs,
frameworks, etc., that are used predominantly?

Thanks,
Herb

Matt Payne

Feb 12, 2016, 9:23:22 AM2/12/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Herb --

I did a job search for entry level java in Omaha just now -- 56 results.

I think the "hot" combo these days is (java 7, angular 1.x, spring, hibernate, knowledge of java 8).    IMHO most shops use Eclipse.    I urge you to come chat with the recruiters who hang out at OJUG.org meetings.   The Tuesday 2/16/16 meeting will be a great one!   Hope to see you there.

It's great to hear from you!   I hope to see you in person on Tuesday.   Thanks! --Matt Payne

p.s. Here is some discussion bait.   IMHO the hot combo ought to be (testing with spock, cucumber, or jUnit, java 8, grails, angular 1 moving to 2, react, grails, play).   Perhaps OJUG.org could have some lighting talks where people talk about their dream stack?

Juan Vazquez

Feb 12, 2016, 10:17:34 AM2/12/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Betty should be in that discussion bait ;)
--
-Juan

Juan Vazquez

Feb 12, 2016, 10:18:15 AM2/12/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Ha. Auto correct. "Netty" should be part of the discussion.
--
-Juan

Mike Finney

Feb 13, 2016, 2:27:33 PM2/13/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
I work for a company in Missouri that is hiring for Java developers. Want me to find and link here or is that spammy?

Mike Finney

Feb 13, 2016, 2:33:40 PM2/13/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Here: I copied some to help:

- ...- We use Java
- MVC architectures - We use Spring MVC
- TML5/CSS3/JavaScript, web standards, jQuery or frameworks like AngularJS
- Spring/Grails
- SQL/Mongo/RabbitMQ

Matt Payne

Feb 13, 2016, 9:58:49 PM2/13/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Mike -- Job postings have their own google group -- https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ojug-jobs

IMHO that's a nice stack.

I prefer Omaha, Nebraska centric discussions.

Thanks

Jon Daly

Feb 14, 2016, 12:23:12 PM2/14/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com

Sorry Mike.  I misunderstood what you were saying.

Jon Daly

Feb 14, 2016, 12:23:12 PM2/14/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com

Mike,
There's a related forum for just that purpose.

OJUG-JOBS
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/ojug-jobs

Mike Finney

Feb 14, 2016, 5:30:03 PM2/14/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Cool.
(Some context as to why I posted at all: Although I am currently doing iPhone development, I did Java for over 10 years. Cofounded Colorado Springs Java developers group. I have family in Omaha so I follow this list.)

Jeff Sheets

Feb 14, 2016, 10:57:04 PM2/14/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Mike, thanks for adding to the Omaha coding conversations! Greatly appreciate it, and hopefully we can connect further at a future event!