gilded rose kata follow up

Stephen Haberman

May 27, 2016, 9:36:59 PM5/27/16
to omaha-java-...@googlegroups.com
Hi OJUG,

Apologies for the late follow up, but kudos to Jessica for a great talk about SOLID + the kata exercise. The kata was surprisingly fun.

Mea culpa, the types approach did end up working out better; e.g. here (Inventory and Item) is what I'd hacked around on during the talk, by trying to stare at the code and decipher "...what are they really doing here?" (e.g. what general classes of items there are).

But that night, I thought I should try the types approach just to see what happened, and turns out it is actually nicer (Inventory and Updater).

I also may have just missed this during the discussion, but turns out the kata github repo also had a set of requirements, which, turns out, were a lot easier to read than the original kata code. (It was actually impressive how mangled it was...someone did a great job of obfuscating it).

Anyway, just thought I'd send out the links to close the thread in my head+tabs in my browser.

The kata exercise was a great idea; if anyone else is interested in presenting, it seems like a really fun/engaging way to get involved without "I'm going to have to go study technology XYZ so that I can put a ton of slides together".

- Stephen