Building Omaha and future of the project in advance of the Google Code shutoff

Graham Reeds

Jun 2, 2015, 12:29:23 PM6/2/15
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to build Google Omaha for an internal demo so we as a firm don't spend months recreating the wheel.

I have installed the following to a Windows 7 x64 VM:
  • Visual Studio 2010
  • ATL 9.0.70425
  • python 2.4.4
  • pywin32-216
  • scons-1.3.1
  • swtoolkit 0.9.1
  • Wix 3.8
  • WTL 9.0.4140
I use the batch file listed in the DeveloperSetupGuide with the locations corrected.

This has been ran in a command prompt with admin privileges.

Build seems to go well until tries building mi.cc where I hit a C2220 error (warning treated as error).  This seems to be due to atlalloc.h using a nonstandard extension and is coming from within Visual Studio 2010.  Eventually more serious build errors start coming through from smart_any_fwd.h(168) struct missing tag name.

What version of the above software do I need to get a successful compile?

I have see there is a CrystalNix fork on Github (and is discussed in a recent thread).  Are there any plans regarding Omaha with the announcement that Google Code is closing down?

Thanks, Graham Reeds

Graham Reeds

Jun 2, 2015, 1:25:53 PM6/2/15
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I found a post with a similar error which is 4 years old, detailing how to get past the static_assert issue (I simply deleted them).

This leaves me with the non-standard extension issue.

Has anyone got Omaha to build with VS 2010 as this seems to be source of all problems.

GR

Sorin Jianu

Jun 9, 2015, 1:52:54 PM6/9/15
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com, graham...@gmail.com
Graham, we will migrate the project to a new home before Google Code shuts down.

Graham Reeds

Jun 18, 2015, 7:40:03 PM6/18/15
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com

Any time scales?

There is a push at my workplace to implement a similar system and the fact that a) it hasn't been updated in ages and b) is locked to vs2008 and we are migrating to vs2013 in August means it is looking like there will be 6 months of slog to recreate Omaha.

I was thinking of forking it myself to see if I could correct the majority of issues and get it working in 2010 but I would rather not waste time on that just to see my effort (which will be done in my own time) amount to nought if you release a version that corrects all the problems I had sought to rectify.

Thanks, GR

Sent from my Nexus 5.