Code Red

Dmitry A. Shashkin

Nov 17, 2014, 4:01:01 AM11/17/14
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm working with my own customized version of Omaha and I'm trying to figure out how Code Red check works.
Unfortunately I did not find any docs about Code Red except of its definition here https://code.google.com/p/omaha/wiki/Omaha3Walkthrough#Common_Terminology
So could anybody please help me with the following questions:

1. Can I use Code Red check in my own customized version of Omaha or it only works with Google's build?
2. As I understand, Code Red check is performed not by Omaha but by applications managed by Omaha. Am I right?
3. How can enable Code Red check? Which Omaha library should I link with my application? Do I need any other changes in my application or linking with library is enough?
4. How can I test Code Red scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

Dmitry A. Shashkin

Nov 21, 2014, 4:58:15 AM11/21/14
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com
I found that Omaha core process initiates code red check each time it starts. I'm not sure if it is so because Omaha client is the only application intended to do code red check or because it also linked with that library where code red check is implemented (i.e. Omaha client is one of those apps who can do that).

Anyway, is there any info about server side of code red check? What kind of response Omaha client expects to receive?

Sorin Jianu

Nov 21, 2014, 11:31:12 AM11/21/14
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com
At Google, GoogleUpdate has been the only application to host the Code Red feature. It expects a 200 response on the Code Red url, or anything else, if nothing is intended to be recovered.

My advice would be to not use this feature in your code.

Dmitry A. Shashkin

Nov 22, 2014, 2:45:22 AM11/22/14
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com, so...@chromium.org
Is there any way to disable this functionality? Or do I need to comment/remove/modify the code to disable it?

Sorin Jianu

Nov 24, 2014, 12:23:40 PM11/24/14
to Dmitry A. Shashkin, omaha-...@googlegroups.com
Just remove the code in your local checkout.