Omaha project has been migrated to github

Sorin Jianu

Jul 17, 2015, 7:44:23 PM7/17/15
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
we have news to share with the omaha-discuss group members.

First, the project has been migrated from its former location at https://code.google.com/p/omaha/ to https://github.com/google/omaha. We will update the old project site soon to reflect this change.

Second, the source code has been updated to version 1.3.28.1, the latest stable version of Google Update which Google is shipping now.

At a high level and from a design perspective, the project has not significantly changed since last time we did an open source drop. Developers who have been using or forked the old code should be familiar with the project tree already. The project builds with Visual Studio 2013 and there have been a few changes related to the 3rd-party dependencies, as documented by the Developer Setup Guide.

Going forward, the intention is to push changes to this Git repository and keep it in sync with the stable versions of the official Google Update. We are also glad to accept patches going forward.

We are sure there are still some rough edges but we'd like to make the source code available sooner than later, and work through the issues along the way. If help is needed, please use the github issues and the omaha-discuss@ to start a conversation.

Happy merges, and thank you!

Neil Williams

Jul 21, 2015, 1:42:32 PM7/21/15
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Just wonder if there is any sort of change log between the last google code version and the current github version?

We've been using omaha for our windows desktop app at CopyCopy for a good few months now with nice results, although there are some occasional niggles.

Thanks for keeping the project alive,
Neil.

Sorin Jianu

Jul 21, 2015, 2:28:23 PM7/21/15
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com
Neil, I am working on creating a change log based on the project change lists. It will give people a rough idea of what changed.

Thank you!

Neil Williams

Jul 21, 2015, 2:39:41 PM7/21/15
to Omaha Discuss
Fantastic, Cheers Sorin.

Sorin Jianu

Jul 21, 2015, 7:39:57 PM7/21/15
to omaha-...@googlegroups.com
We've committed a changelog to https://github.com/google/omaha/blob/master/CHANGELOG.txt

This is an informal list of changes. The changes are manually generated from the internal change list descriptions, then the result was screened for confidential information, and noisy lines were removed.

As it stands, the changelog can give a rough idea of the features and bug fixes done since.

We hope this helps.