[Reminder] Call for Applications for 2nd LTSP Training of Trainers - Deadline on Wednesday December 10

Subir Pradhanang

Dec 8, 2008, 1:27:55 AM12/8/08
to FOSS Nepal, nepa...@googlegroups.com, foss-ne...@googlegroups.com, Ubuntu Mailing List, olpc...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

This is a reminder for Call for Applications for the 2nd LTSP e-Library Training of Trainers being held from 13th to 14th December, 2008 at Brihaspati Vidya Sadan, Naxal. Please visit the following page on the FOSS Nepal website for more information:

http://wiki.fossnepal.org/index.php?title=2nd_LTSP_ToT

NOTE: Please feel free to FORWARD it to others (either in your college or other colleges where you know) who might be interested to participate.

Introduction:
Help Nepal Network along with FOSS Nepal and Brihaspati Vidya Sadan is jointly conducting its 2nd Training for prospective Trainers for Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) based e-Library. To alleviate the inclining trend of 'Digital Divide' in Nepal, e-Library has been launched as an Information and Communications Technology (ICT) tool which basically aims to incorporate both 'Health' and 'Education' sector. It has been opted by HeNN because of its viability in terms of technical and economical perspective in reference to Nepal and the Nepalese. With the rising interest in LTSP by different groups involved in rural education, it has presently been a topic of discussion for both national and international donor agencies as well as the community beneficiaries. Due to its growing potentiality and magnitude, we are in search for technical manpower who would help us deploy LTSP based e-Library as volunteers in different parts of Nepal. Hence, this training is an synergic effort to create this manpower from among the students who can devote their time for the training and the project deployments.

This year's event is second of such training being organized by HeNN, the first one having been organized in December last year. Like last year, this year also we plan to train about 24 students from different colleges at HeNN and FOSS Nepal's newly built Training Center in Brihaspati Vidya Sadan, Naxal. However, unlike last year we are trying to target specifically those user groups who have some prior experience of using Linux as opposed to complete tyros. This decision is partly the outcome of last year's training experience where majority of time was consumed by training the participants about Linux rather than LTSP.

Last year we were able to attract a very huge participation for the training with more than 15 volunteers still working with us in this endeavor of ours. Since the training, volunteers have successfully helped us launch E-Libraries at different sites like Sindhupalchowk, Dhulikhel, Myagdi and Biratnagar. This year too we are seeking involvement of students in this training so that we can provide them with enough expertise to be part of e-Library projects as technical volunteer. The aim of this training is not only help the organization like 'Help Nepal Network' and 'FOSS Nepal' achieve their goal, but, also the students as they will get a practical exposure about community work along with a chance of visiting a different parts of Nepal. They will also be learning a new system and understanding its potential in development of nation's ICT infrastructure.

To sum it up, the focus of the training is to provide training to prospective trainers which could create a pool of volunteers for deployment of LTSP e-Library all over Nepal.

Date, Time and Venue
Two days training covering all the essentials of the LTSP system installation and administration on 13th - 14th December, 2008. Unlike last year, certificates will only be awarded to students after successfully taking part in one or more of HeNN's e-Library deployment program.

Date: 13th - 14th  December
Time: 8.30 AM – 4.30 PM
Venue: Brihaspati Vidya Sadan, Naxal

Participants
20 – 24 participants* on the basis of application form. The students at IOE, Pulchowk Engineering Campus and Kathmandu University can not apply for participation. The training for them will be conducted by IOE FOSS and KUOSC respectively. Last Date of submission is the 10th of December, Wednesday by 1200 hrs.

* Conditions apply, please refer to the application form for further details.

Areas that will be covered
Networking Basics
LTSP-specific Administration
System Administration

Fees
The participants will be required to pay Rs. 250/- towards the training cost that includes stationery, CDs. Besides,
Lunch and tea will be provided to the participants.

How to apply?
Please find the application form as an attachment. And fill in the same, attach it to the email by renaming the file to '<your name>.txt'. Send it to ltsp-tot AT fossnepal DOT org with the following email subject: "Application form". We expect to receive your applications no later than 1200 hrs on Wednesday, 10th December. Selected candidates will be notified via email and/or phone on Thursday, 11th December.

Contact Information:
For any queries, please contact: Shishir Jha (98510-87591) or Jitendra Harlalka (9803395335)

Thanks,
Subir
application-form.txt

Subir Pradhanang

Dec 9, 2008, 4:32:55 AM12/9/08
to FOSS Nepal, nepa...@googlegroups.com, foss-ne...@googlegroups.com, Ubuntu Mailing List, olpc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have decided to extend the deadline for applications to 20:00 hrs
Wednesday because of today's holiday. A number of people from FOSS
Nepal College Coordination Committee (CCC) asked us to extend the
deadline as they were unable to flow the message in there respective
colleges.

And also please add the College field for the upcoming applications.

Thanks,
Subir