New look, news page

Nicholas Doiron

Apr 9, 2011, 3:23:06 PM4/9/11
to olpcMA...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

With ceibalJAM/eduJAM drawing closer, we are working to make olpcMAP.net
more useful to the community of volunteers:

* We have updated the look of olpcMAP and our search results. You'll see
it right away when you go to http://olpcMAP.net , or when you use a map
URL such as http://olpcMAP.net?go=Nicaragua

* A new page is up at http://olpcMAP.net/news , which makes it easy to
post your updates, events, and opportunities. Our main goal is to
encourage more OLPC groups to share quick updates and search for talent
within our volunteer network. A connection to the map is being developed.

Regards,
olpcMAP Team

Holt

Apr 9, 2011, 4:20:14 PM4/9/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nick:

1) Can you make the map full-height in Firefox? Presently it's only 60%
of my 1200-pixel high screen.
2) When I type in "Kenya" into the Search/Find box, can you make that
more organized, showing the full mosaic of that country's projects, like
when I search on "Haiti" ?
3) When I mouseover the Haiti search results on the left, can you
highlight each such deployments on the map, whether by making it
visually dance/jump -- or by temporarily popping up its full map marker?

PS optional nicety if possible: typing "Enter" after typing in a search
query should get things moving, just like clicking on "Find"

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !

Holt

Apr 9, 2011, 4:40:20 PM4/9/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com
On 4/9/2011 4:20 PM, Holt wrote:
> Thanks Nick:
>
> 1) Can you make the map full-height in Firefox? Presently it's only
> 60% of my 1200-pixel high screen.
> 2) When I type in "Kenya" into the Search/Find box, can you make that
> more organized, showing the full mosaic of that country's projects,
> like when I search on "Haiti" ?
> 3) When I mouseover the Haiti search results on the left, can you
> highlight each such deployments on the map, whether by making it
> visually dance/jump -- or by temporarily popping up its full map marker?

I personally *adore* love how project map markers not only jump
(animated dance!) on the right side on the actual map, but also on the
left side when your mouse is visually exploring the map!

Bringing OLPC/Sugar deployments to life on map as you explore, for
textual thinkers (left) and visual thinkers (right) to explore both...

There's the surest evidence yet National Geographic will be jealous,
posting their own stories on olpcMAP.net soon ;)

Nicholas Doiron

Apr 9, 2011, 6:17:17 PM4/9/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Adam. I fixed your map and search questions. When a search such as
"Kenya" takes you to one marker, that's because it was part of only that
one school's name. Adding "Kenya" to another marker's name fixed it.

You can always use the Google Maps search result in the sidebar, or use a
link such as http://olpcMAP.net?go=Kenya to see a certain part of the
world.

--
Nicholas

> http://groups.google.com/group/olpcMAPmakers

Holt

Apr 9, 2011, 7:01:51 PM4/9/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com
Is #3 impossible to implement (dancing search results, to make search
far more meaningful+understandable) or just too hard for now?

Aside: someday we really must clean up search results for continent-like
names too -- even searching for Etoys, Scratch, solar etc currently
display very awkward maps -- nevermind searching for Africa, Mideast,
South America, North America, Latin America, Central America :)

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !

jonathan ragot

Apr 10, 2011, 7:20:36 AM4/10/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com, Holt
Hi guys, how are you doing?
the map is looking better and better!!!

why Nosy Komba deplyment is no more  on this map?

2011/4/10 Holt <ho...@laptop.org>

--
Jonathan Ragot
+33 6 08 84 53 33

Nicholas Doiron

Apr 10, 2011, 8:25:04 AM4/10/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com

I could still find it, but some markers were missing. We have >500 markers.

http://olpcMAP.net?go=Madagascar
http://olpcMAP.net?id=339002

Regards,
Nick Doiron

Nicholas Doiron

Apr 10, 2011, 8:26:14 AM4/10/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com

I mean to say: there were some missing places, so I raised the number
which we can map. Everyone's points are saved and shown on the map now.

Holt

Apr 10, 2011, 9:24:58 AM4/10/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com
Don't feel lonely Mr. Ragot, the map has not been appearing at all
during the last hour ;-)

Kevin Mauricio Benavides Castro

Apr 11, 2011, 9:55:15 AM4/11/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com, Holt
Creo que este es un gran avance las personas de aqui en Nicaragua estas mas ha gusto con el nuevo look de olpmap.net

excelente trabajo

2011/4/10 Holt <ho...@laptop.org>

--
Saludos

Ing. Kevin Mauricio Benavides Castro
Soporte Técnico | Proyecto XO
Gang member of the International Support
Nicaragua.

===