PREVIEW: An era in which to curate [mapmaking!] skills

Holt

Feb 19, 2011, 11:52:32 AM2/19/11
to olpcMA...@googlegroups.com

"Amidst disruption, publishing still relies on research, sales, authoring, and curation."

Unrelated but intriguing excerpt, from the publishing/news industry currently tearing itself apart -- relating to our own hardcore investment/tools we will now be making to beautify our sweat-of-the-brow community map -- excerpt from: http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/02/an-era-in-which-to-curate-skil.html

Just a hint: the open community events below will become increasingly public in days and weeks to come!

If *you* want to co-lead any event below or schedule your own, to activate STREETS-IS-TALKIN' participation around educational technology in any school/city/region -- even if it's not all OLPC/Sugar -- definitely please contact me, and we'll give you the tools :)  ho...@laptop.org

Subject: Weekly olpc/sugar MAP JAM - *Preliminary* Spring Schedule
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:52:22 -0500
From: ho...@laptop.org
To: Support Gangsters <suppor...@laptop.org>
CC: Clement-Francois Monjou, Jeff Elkner, Kaçandre Bourdelais, Ryan Letada, Christian Kakoba

Thanks to our strongest local community builders who will present their every bloody knee and secret triumphs, every Sunday going forward.

Every week you will learn completely new tricks about how to build local edutech community, during our global audio/chat calls, that you will be able to use the rest of your life.

Recall I want to give out a red XO every week to the local who most vividly/authentically communicates her/his on-the-ground accomplishment, experience, eye-opening trivia (or quite simply photography) onto http://olpcMAP.net , til they run out!  Or will they ;)

*VERY* preliminary schedule follows -- dates and 4PM EST/EDT Sunday timing will both change if we can hopefully accommodate the "doer" country/group's request:

    Feb 20 - LA Organizers "Pave" the Way for All
                    http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2011-February/012568.html
                    http://olpcmap.net/?go=greater_los_angeles
    Feb 27 - Southern California Meets @ http://socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x : How it All Comes Together
                    http://olpcMAP.net?go=southern_california
    Mch 6 - OLPC France: How to Build a Volunteer Network that LASTS
                  http://olpcMAP.net?go=france
    Mch 13 - Franxophonie.org on Africa deployments: Gabon, Cameroon, Mali, Senegal
                    http://olpcMAP.net?go=cameroon
    Mch 20 - eKindling / Philippines Island-Hopping Expansion?
                    http://olpcMAP.net/?go=philippines
    Mch 27 -  Kenya's Extensive Community Deployment Fabric
                     http://olpcMAP.net?go=kenya
    Apr 3 - OLPC Austria Empire conquers Europe again?!
                 http://olpcMAP.net?go=europe
    Apr 10 - Washington DC's olpcLearningClub.org & Sugar Labs DC: but will Obama attend?
                   http://olpcMAP.net?go=maryland
    Apr 17 - OLPC Deutschland: so Awesome they don't need to conquer Europe again--their inspiring community-building methods just might!
                   http://olpcMAP.net?go=germany
    Apr 24 - Ghana: Princeton Engineers w/o Borders Build a Broad-based XO Library
                   http://olpcMAP.net?go=ghana
    May 1 - Rural Uruguay: do the Rural Poor really want Internet?
                  http://olpcMAP.net/?go=montevideo
    May 8 - Urban Montevideo: Are We There Yet?
                  http://olpcMAP.net/?go=uruguay
    May 15 - Jamaica: Teacher Training Truisms (you think you know, but don't)
                    http://olpcMAP.net?go=jamaica
    May 22 - Lifelong Learning in Haiti: How to Fight the Good Fight
                    http://olpcMAP.net/?go=haiti

This will not be the end.  In-person in Uruguay May 5-7 our global community (South American especially this time!) will be tying together the very strongest lessons learned into a TOP 10 PROVEN TRICKS for building local open edutech initiatives, not unlike Christophs's work last year sparking people to go back to fundamentals around teacher-training, Sugar basics, etc -- thanks for joining us on this exciting global chautauqua/ride.  The local lore of every city worldwide (fundraising mistakes, teacher/techie marriages, "insurmountable" school politics, mayor's alliances) are the meat+potatoes others keep begging we share better, far beyond just:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OlpcMAP/Trivia_Contest

Thanks for helping me add your country/city to the schedule above if your story has not yet been properly told.  We won't stop until then.  Building this community-owned repository of edutech actionable insights until Sunday Dec 25 -- when I'm giving you all a day off (but just one, beware ;-)

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !