Mapmaking heroes

Nicholas Doiron

Jul 10, 2011, 2:14:48 AM7/10/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com

It's been weeks since the last OLPC mapping update, but if activity downloads are any indication, students continue to use maps on their OLPCs around the world. I commented briefly on this on Patrick Meier's international development blog, http://irevolution.net/2011/06/26/wrong-assumptions-tech/ , and he plans to use OLPC mapping photos in his future presentations!

Why teach mapping?  My employer, ESRI, has a great line-up of heroes using advanced GIS maps, including firefighters, environmentalists, engineers, and teachers: http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/gis-heroes.html

Footnote:  Tuesday, I'll bring my XO along to the ESRI UC, the world's largest mapping conference. Wish me luck =)

Regards,
Nick Doiron
Redlands, CA

Nancie Severs

Jul 16, 2011, 9:09:55 AM7/16/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com
How was the conference, Nick/ Was there interest in the XO?  (This month I'm super busy with family obligations. Back to volunteering in August. But I'm keeping up!)
Nancie:)

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !

This email came from my XO from OLPC!
Please check out One Laptop Per Child at http://laptop.org/ and help make the world a better place!

Holt

Jul 16, 2011, 9:31:51 AM7/16/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com
On 7/16/2011 9:09 AM, Nancie Severs wrote:
How was the conference, Nick/ Was there interest in the XO?

(This month I'm super busy with family obligations. Back to volunteering in August. But I'm keeping up!)
Nancie:)

OLPC does need our SE Asia Ambassador, thanks for all your recent work Nancie helping in Thailand!

Nicholas Doiron

Jul 16, 2011, 11:23:35 AM7/16/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com

It was a huge success. Mapping technology people are geeks twice over, and they often work with top-of-the-line, multi-core computers, so it was hilarious to carry around a little green XO. Most of them had heard of OLPC, but never actually seen the computer.

I also showed it to a podcast team called VerySpatial and talked about Uganda. I'm going to follow up with photos and maybe get an interview =)

Regards,
Nick

Marina

Jul 16, 2011, 11:57:32 AM7/16/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,
I want to interview you! Are you available next week?
Marina.

Sent from my iPhone

Nancie Severs

Jul 17, 2011, 7:56:08 AM7/17/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,
That's terrific! And I like your blog too. Keep up the good work.

Marina, an interview is a good idea. The blogs do get read and one thing sometimes does actually lead to another...
Best to all, Nancie

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !

Sameer Verma

Jul 17, 2011, 8:05:46 PM7/17/11
to olpcma...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Marina <verho...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
> I want to interview you! Are you available next week?
> Marina.

+1 on interviews!!!

Sameer