Fwd: [Pharo-project] Dr. Geo in your native language

Serge Stinckwich

Jun 6, 2012, 4:07:37 AM6/6/12
to Hanoi Linux Users Group, olpc-v...@googlegroups.com
Some vietnamese translators are needed !

Jun 6, 2012, 5:44:40 AM6/6/12
to olpc-v...@googlegroups.com
Dear Serge Stinckwich,

I would like to help. I have registered on the site http://translate.drgeo.eu. So, what's the next step?

Hope to hear from you.

Khac Duy.

Jun 6, 2012, 6:31:06 AM6/6/12
to olpc-v...@googlegroups.com
I guest you should go here:

https://translations.launchpad.net/drgeo/trunk/+pots/drgeoii
and select Vietnamese.

Regards,
> olpc-vietnam...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/olpc-vietnam?hl=en.

Duy Nguyen Khac

Jun 7, 2012, 3:41:48 AM6/7/12
to olpc-v...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Serge!
Best regards,
Duy Nguyen.

Jun 28, 2012, 4:49:08 AM6/28/12
to don...@gmail.com, v...@bachkhoait.com, Hanoi Linux Users Group, olpc-v...@googlegroups.com, Hilaire Fernandes
Thank you for your work !!!

You have been working on the vietnamese version of Dr Geo 2 apparently.

Hilaire send me a screenshot with a vietnamese font :
https://twitter.com/drgeo2/status/218224907690065920/photo/1

Best regards,

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM, donhu vy <don...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, i want attend this task.
> my account in launchpad is Do Nhu Vy, email: v...@bachkhoait.com
> Sent from my iPhone

janey....@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2012, 1:16:42 AM12/19/12
to olpc-v...@googlegroups.com, Hanoi Linux Users Group
Hello Serge,

I am a UK qualified teacher living and working in HCMC. I am looking for a way to get involved with the OLPC project here in the city. I work with a charitable foundation and would like to explore the possibility of introducing the laptops in the future. Could you put me in touch with a project representative, please? I would like the oportunity to meet with them and discuss ways I can get involved.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Jane.

Nancie Severs

Dec 19, 2012, 11:49:10 AM12/19/12
to olpc-v...@googlegroups.com, janey....@gmail.com
Hi Serge and OLPC Vietnam friends,

Happy Holidays - Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, and Happy New Year to all! My very best! Nancie:)

1. I responded to the kind inquiry from Jane Hannam, copied on this email. Her first general inquiry to OLPC received on Sunday December 16 and had to find its way to me, as the person familiar with OLPC Vietnam volunteers. I replied with information that will hopefully be helpful.

OLPC receives many inquiries on a daily basis. I try to reply within a reasonable time. We are volunteers, and I am in Florida over the holiday, visiting & taking care of my elder Mom, so her that regular helpers can be off with their own families. I am grateful for the opportunity to spend time with my Mom. But its a busy time! I will try to keep up on line, but I ask everyone to understand and be patient. Nothing happens in America "work wise" beween now and January 1 so even if I make referrals, folks may have to wait until January to get good answers.

2.. I am so pleased to see that Wikipedia is now available in Vietnamese! For the XOs, we have an Activity (App) of a selection of Wikipedia articles, in several languages including English, French, Spanish, Polish, etc. that can be downloaded to the XO and used by children in an offline mode without Internet. http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/search?q=Wikipedia&cat=all

I posed the question: How can we make a downloadable Activity of selected Wikipedia Articles in the Vietnmaese language on an OLPC Support list. Gonzalo Odiard is the developer of those Activities and has offered to help. See the conversation thread copied below.

2) Talk to Gonzalo Odiard (cc'ed) about how he has created the single
language offline wiki files that he has posted to ASLO and try to
leverage the lang-vi Kiwix ZIM file in some way.

Offhand, if #1 works, it is probably the fastest and easiest.
However, there are many considerations that may come into play, such
as the size of the files involved, the performance when browsing, the
suitability of the editorial selection (e.g. are articles included
that might not be suitable for children), etc.

Gonzalo has encountered and explored these issues while developing his
off-line wiki activity bundles that combine the content and browser
into a single bundle.  I really do not have any directly relevant
experience to offer, other than to suggest that you probably want to
have this conversation with Gonzalo, not me.   :-)

cjl (Chris Leonard, language localization volunteer)

About this option, you can see more information here:

and I can help with any doubts you have.
If you think this option have a possible, I can help build the activity too,
as already did with the Polish, Quechua, French or Kinyarwanda versions.
If the amount of data available is small (it's possible keep all the data locally
in the xo) the process is trivial. If is needed do a selection of the data
I need help from anybody who talks the language.
Of course, this offer can be used with other languages :)
Gonzolo

This email came from my XO from OLPC!
Please check out One Laptop Per Child at http://laptop.org/ and help make the world a better place!