Open letter...

Sameer Verma

Jul 30, 2010, 1:56:06 PM7/30/10
to olpc-...@googlegroups.com
In case you haven't seen this as yet...

स्वागत: शिक्षा के लिए 35 डालर का टैबलेट http://bit.ly/9aMrGI
English version at http://bit.ly/cYaDmp

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems
Director, Campus Business Solutions
San Francisco State University
http://verma.sfsu.edu/
http://opensource.sfsu.edu/
http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
http://is.sfsu.edu/

mvalent

Jul 31, 2010, 8:41:43 AM7/31/10
to OLPC India
I don't understand why Nicholas is responding to the indian
announcement with this open letter. Maybe it is to show to the world
the absurdity of it ?
This tablet PC will, of course, never exist. We are still laughing
about the other indian declarations, for example the "10$ laptops".
Maybe they had to wait a little more before coming with a new one.
Ha ha ha... Incredible India !

On Jul 30, 7:56 pm, Sameer Verma <sv3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In case you haven't seen this as yet...
>
> स्वागत: शिक्षा के लिए 35 डालर का टैबलेटhttp://bit.ly/9aMrGI
> English version athttp://bit.ly/cYaDmp

KAMONASISH AAYUSH MAZUMDAR

Jul 31, 2010, 1:44:17 PM7/31/10
to olpc-...@googlegroups.com
and it takes a post like this to turn a staunch 22 year old pro-olpc person to go up in arms against vaguely elitist post like yours.

He is responding to the news because this is "olpc-india.googlegroups.com" :|

You sound like bill gates of the 90's - "Internet is a fad".

Get a life.

Kamonasish Aayush Mazumdar

www.my7thsense.blogspot.com

Sameer Verma

Jul 31, 2010, 2:08:51 PM7/31/10
to olpc-...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 5:41 AM, mvalent <mlgva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand why Nicholas is responding to the indian
> announcement with this open letter. Maybe it is to show to the world
> the absurdity of it ?

I'm not so sure if a cheap tablet cannot be done. This 150 USD tablet
came out in the US at KMart.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/30/augen-gentouch-78-preview/

ARM processor, with Android and it is 150 USD retail, so not that
difficult to actually make a cheaper tablet, although one will have to
cut corners, just like Augen did by going with a resistive tablet.

> This tablet PC will, of course, never exist. We are still laughing
> about the other indian declarations, for example the "10$ laptops".
> Maybe they had to wait a little more before coming with a new one.
> Ha ha ha... Incredible India !

Of course, government intervention and bureaucracy will probably kill
this effort, but nothing new there. Most governments kill such
fast-moving efforts due to bureaucracy, including the State of
California (my current employer).

Let's wait ands see where this goes. In the mean time we need to focus
on what we have so far :-)

cheers,
Sameer

> On Jul 30, 7:56 pm, Sameer Verma <sv3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In case you haven't seen this as yet...
>>
>> स्वागत: शिक्षा के लिए 35 डालर का टैबलेटhttp://bit.ly/9aMrGI
>> English version athttp://bit.ly/cYaDmp
>>
>> cheers,
>> Sameer
>> --
>> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
>> Associate Professor, Information Systems
>> Director, Campus Business Solutions
>> San Francisco State Universityhttp://verma.sfsu.edu/http://opensource.sfsu.edu/http://cbs.sfsu.edu/http://is.sfsu.edu/

mvalent

Aug 2, 2010, 4:09:39 AM8/2/10
to OLPC India
Well... Grow up and face the reality. ;-)

On Jul 31, 7:44 pm, KAMONASISH AAYUSH MAZUMDAR
> > olpc-india+...@googlegroups.com<olpc-india%2Bunsubscribe@googlegrou ps.com>
> > .

mvalent

Aug 2, 2010, 4:32:56 AM8/2/10
to OLPC India
And you also forgot to mention corruption. Whatever will be the
reason, I don't think it is going to happen. Certainly not in India.
It looks likes India is so proud (officials) that they don't want to
catch a train because the pilot may not be an indian.
I still remember this computer HCL made that was an exact copy of the
Intel classnote (I suppose it was actually licensed to them by Intel).
Was it a success ?
I feel also that there is no real will to come on the market with
cheap devices. How many different netbooks, how many netboxes (mini-
pc) are available in India ? Not much. However they are cheap and
energy efficient.

sankarshan

Aug 2, 2010, 4:44:22 AM8/2/10
to olpc-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:02 PM, mvalent <mlgva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And you also forgot to mention corruption. Whatever will be the
> reason, I don't think it is going to happen. Certainly not in India.
> It looks likes India is so proud (officials) that they don't want to
> catch a train because the pilot may not be an indian.

All said and done we could do with a bit less caustic tone.

Admittedly the plans for this 'tablet' aren't clear at this point.
Personally, I don't really buy the optimism shared by the ministers
that IHVs are waiting in queue to obtain rights to build and ship
this. And, I know enough about hardware SKUs and release engineering
to not nod my head at the sheer number of variables that are left
undiscussed.

In spite of all that, going on a generalized 'India sucks' rant isn't
the most productive way of dealing with things. Especially given that
upstream (OLPC/NN) has decided to respond. Why they chose to respond
is beyond me and I hope it wasn't precipitated by the OLPC
organization on ground in India.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>

sankarshan

Aug 2, 2010, 5:14:28 AM8/2/10
to Smita Prakash, OLPC India, olpc-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Smita Prakash, OLPC India
<sm...@olpcindia.net> wrote:

> We did not mean to respond to this. However, Mr Mukhopadhyay's last sentence hits both ways. Mr Negroponte is a very independent person and Mr Jha has contributed more than 10 US professionals salary to the India initiative to ask them for any favours out of his savings and debt.

Thanks for your clarifications Smita. However, if you look at what I
wrote, I haven't alluded to the monetary or, non-monetary
contributions of either Nicholas or, Satish. I am sure that they are
exemplary and, since I am in no position to cast aspersions on their
contributions or, involvement I desisted from doing anything along
such lines.

What I did however allude to is that given the MinHRD's legendary
aversion to OLPC and the pedagogy (or, lack thereof) it espouses, the
need for Nicholas to respond with a (in my opinion)
neither-here-nor-there sort of non-visionary statement is awkward.

In a high stakes game of deployment it could however be of advantage
as well. All agencies and organizations have, at some point, in India,
figured out that nice non-committal talks with the GoI buys you peace.

As long as that helps get OLPC things done in India, I don't have to
grieve over it.

> Easier to ascribe it to elevating the level a notch higher since Mr Sibal referred to the MIT $100 laptop.

Yes indeed. He also mentioned a bunch of others things like initial
manufacture at Taiwan and so forth. As an aside, Satish doesn't seem
as comfortable with the 'device' as well
<http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/india-gii/2010-07/msg00032.html>

/sankarshan

ps: 'Sankarshan' works fine if you'd like to address me. I haven't had
the pleasure of being addressed to as 'Mr Mukhopadhyay' in my entire
lifetime and don't want to indulge in that habit.

KAMONASISH AAYUSH MAZUMDAR

Aug 2, 2010, 6:15:58 AM8/2/10
to olpc-...@googlegroups.com
How mature ;)